Author Topic: Bargain?  (Read 3183 times)

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
Bargain?
« on: April 30, 2011, 16:56:39 »
I have just opened a packet of cucumber Passandra F1 that I got from Cottage Garden Seeds at the reduced price of 75p (I can't remember what the full price was, but I guess £1.50 upwards). There were three seeds in it, in sealed foil. Not quite sure how I would feel if I had paid full price!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: Bargain?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 17:25:35 »
Hoppng mad I think! Even though they were reduced, I'd still complain, as a bargain they weren't.
Smile, it confuses people.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 20:23:31 »
Looking at prices, they seem to vary from 30p (Simply Seed) to 80p (Seeds by Size) for each seed.

So at 25p, they were at least a bit of a bargain.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 22:01:00 »
I'm growing Carmen cucumbers this year and good job you get good germination as the seeds are not cheap either.  I though that these fancy hybrids produced only female flowers but on the packet it says that you can get male flowers if the plant is "stressed"  ???

You have to give this things a try and make up your own mind but last year I grew Marketmore which did well so the bar is set high.  Or maybe just go the whole pig and grow something really fancy like Sikkim?  Who knows?

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 22:28:02 »
We gave up buying cucumber seed a few years ago.We had a couple of failures and it made the remaining plants very expensive.
Now we buy from a little local hardware shop,lottie neighbours have them too at £1.25p they're not cheap but last year the OH had 350 (mini) cues from 2 plants so can't complain.There's a running competition going every day in the summer they all swap notes on who's picked the most ?
Sad but true  ::)
sanity is overated

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 20:45:52 »
Should it not say how many seeds there are on the packet.  ???
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 20:35:30 »
Or maybe just go the whole pig and grow something really fancy like Sikkim?  Who knows?

I have self-saved sikkim seed, but I haven't had any of my 6 sown germinate yet. I think I'll do a germination test. If they're okay, and I was just unlucky the first time, I'm happy to send you some. They're big cukes so there's plenty of seed!

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 21:04:15 »
^^ thank you I would love to give Sikkim a go.  I can send you an SAE or would offer a small donation to a charity of your choice for a few seeds sent buckshee.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 22:17:43 »
Macmac do you which cucumber it was by any chance please? Sounds a good one to grow.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 23:18:07 »
Okay, I'll do a germination test this weekend, and happy to start sending them out if they're okay. They're very small and flat, so they'll just go in a normal envelope, no need for SAE.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 23:25:33 »
grannyjanny there isn't a variety written on the label it's just a mini cue,we find them better than the great long things.We can eat a whole one rather than store in the fridge to go soft.
They produce so many even giving them away is difficult,one year even the guy that came to service our boiler was told it was compulsory to take tomatoes and 2 cues when he left  :)
sanity is overated

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 07:05:16 »
Thanks macmac. I've got passandra so I'll give them a try. Mine were 99p, I think there are 4 in mine ;D.

vitruvius8

• Quarter Acre
  • Walled Garden, North Wales
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 14:37:47 »
try these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CUCUMBER-PERFECTION-140-SEEDS-EXTRA-LONG-RIDGE-CUKE-/110692692694?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item19c5cc72d6 i get most of my seeds from here, brilliant service, great prices, friendly lady. @ 140 seeds for £1.89 you can't go wrong !!! P&P is 69p no matter how many seeds you order. :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal