Author Topic: Hamburg Parsley  (Read 1254 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Hamburg Parsley
« on: April 05, 2011, 05:39:35 »
I have never sown this before but was given some by our site sec, I couldn't find any info in two of my books about transplanting, feeding, the taste etc, any ideas.    ???     ???    ???
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
Re: Hamburg Parsley
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 06:28:04 »
Kev,

I have grown this before and found that the leaves are much the same as other types of parsley.
The benfit comes from the roots, these are good to eat and have a better flavour than the parsnips I used to grow.
Trial and error seems to be the way. If you like it use it and if not then leave it out.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

blackcountrysteve

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 18:38:48 »
I tried some last year kev, they ended up like a small parsnip and was very nice roasted.
As landmaid says it has a duel purpose as you can eat the tops.
Don't think I'll be growing it again this year , i want to give florence fennel a good go this time

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 18:42:51 »
I did not think that it was worth the space, and would not grow it again. The roots were quite small compared to parsnips and not as tasty.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 00:52:25 »
I did not think that it was worth the space, and would not grow it again. The roots were quite small compared to parsnips and not as tasty.

The seeds are a lot smaller than parsnip seed and they also have the notorious parsley slow germination - and sowing earlier to make up for it doesn't really help because earlier is colder.

If you grow in modules and plant out in April you can end up with a root as big as a medium parsnip - but not in poor soil. Parsnips don't care but H-parsley needs better soil - also if they don't get it they grow slow and tough.

I tend to grow 12 H-parsley plants and use them all in roasts - but I sow a whole load of parsnips - dead easy - and in a good year I dump the surplus (or make wine).

At least 50% of people I know prefer it to parsnip if grown well.

The tops/leaves can be a bit coarse - so OK in stews but not really for salad use.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 09:29:57 »
Cheers all, I'm growing them in the pallet hold up thingys so they are not taking up any room, it was just something fo my little un to sow in her small raised beds.  ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal