Author Topic: TIPS PLEASE FOR POTATOES.  (Read 7569 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: TIPS PLEASE FOR POTATOES.
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 19:53:55 »
I haven't had a problem with straw blowing away, I thought I would, but it just kind of stays there - I've used it to make paths, and it stays all season  ;D

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 20:02:20 »
I'm amazed - on Sunday I was trying to put thick plastic sheeting across a compost heap and it was whipping around my head. But I suppose by the time we mulch the really strong winds will have died down for the summer.

Now just got to find some straw! I'm glad you asked this question anyway PeterVV, I hope these tips help you this year.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 20:04:36 »
Ha ha ! I know what you mean, it seems every time I start to do something like putting sheeting down, sprinkling wood ash, the wind picks up!!

We get our straw from Blackbrooks on the A21 - reasonable price too  ;)

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 21:38:29 »
My garden is reasonably sheltered, but I second 1066 - straw somehow seems to stick.  I use it for paths as well.  In fact, I love straw - has a multitude of uses!!

I've got straw on dahlias in the ground atm, we had massive gales last week, some of my terracotta pots blew over, but the straw, admittedly pretty soggy by now, stayed put.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 19:11:11 »
This thread has officially launched the Straw Appreciation Society  :)

willconkerer

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 19:19:42 »
I used to think you couldn't put enough manure on spuds, and as we have plenty available I always did. After 5 or 6 years I realised I was getting a massive amount of foliage and average yields, along with considerable blight problems. It's a nitrogen thing. Last 2 years I've used granular fertiliser (I'm not organic) -  bigger yield, less blight. Gives me a problem with soil structure and how and when I get organic matter into the plot, but I've got plenty of spuds!

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 19:23:00 »
That's something to bear in mind. Would leafmold be useful in adding humus?

willconkerer

• Not So New ...
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 21:16:10 »
I used to think you couldn't put enough muck on spuds, but after a few years of huge foliage, average yields and big blight problems I had a rethink.Too much nitrogen. Last two years I've used granular fertiliser and had beter results all round. Need to find a new way of getting organic matter into the soil. If you don't/can't water your spuds you need to have a way of retaining moisture.
Spuds is 90% water!

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 23:24:38 »
This thread has officially launched the Straw Appreciation Society  :)

ha ha... sorry to wander off topic but I thought of a4a when I was spreading straw for the chickens (it's muddy out there atm).  I don't have any sticking out of my ears or clothing, promise - at least, not most of the time!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2011, 00:17:39 »
Maybe mulch with autumn leaves? That'll keep them moist without providing any nitrogen.

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2011, 22:55:59 »
If I drop hay out of the haynets on the yard it never seems to blow away, it just lies there until I brush it up (or one of the horses eat it),LOL.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal