Author Topic: What brassicas?  (Read 1108 times)

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
What brassicas?
« on: October 30, 2010, 14:49:57 »
I can't grow brassicas! I've tried but they just don't do well on my soil.

Cabages don't heart up, brussels just blow and my swedes don't swell. My soil is quite light, very fertile but it's just not hard and compact enough for brassicas. It gets wet quickly but also dries out quickly. Even paths that have been trod and walked on for years are very easy to dig and break up.

So, what varieties, if any would produce reasonable results on a light soil?

PSB does pretty well though.

Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: What brassicas?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 15:18:47 »
Oh dear..that's whole a lot of trouble..but no worries, I'm sure we can sort it out ;D
I've grown brassicas in sandy soil and it can be done.
Even if you soil is fertile..sandy soil and brassicas..fertility is not enough.
Unfortunately you do have result feeding too..and regurlarly too.
Often sandy condition and acidity goes 'hand in hand' too..not necessary...have you used lime?
Variety is not the issue..you have to work cultivation method..then you can grow anything.
Sandy soil will 'swallow up' huge quantities of organic matter and seems that no matter how much you 'bang' in, it is not enough. I found that rather than digging stuff in, using all the organic matter on surface is far better and will hold moisture in soil too. So during the year keep adding on surface...grass clippings...compost..leaves..etc. You will only need to add lime when you plant brassicas ..giving some fertilizer(BFB would be ideal all rounder) at the same time and then start mulching. Between each layer of new mulching material add some more fertilizer..chicken pellets are good.
Sandy soil being 'loose' anyway, you don't need to rotavate or turn over the land prior planting. Just get your plants in, give them a little 'boot' around rootball to firm in and off they go ;D ;)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 15:55:22 »
I grew some of mine in large plant pots of mushroom compost so they had a good start against the slugs, this has meant we have brilliant plants and the goodness is right at the roots where it's needed, don't know if a spade's depth filled with good stuff and planted in would work ?  :)

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 08:44:27 »
Sounds a bit similar to my soil.  I can grow cabbages and sprouts but so far no matter how much time and effort I put into preparing the soil the results are always a bit variable and iffy.  PSB on the other hand, seriously thrives in any location with no special preparation.  

My Tuscan Kale always does beautifully too so you could add that to your list.  Also, for some peverse reason, my noisette sprouts don't blow half as much as any other sprout I've tried (now several varieties) and I was surprised because I've read in at least two books that they always blow even for experienced sprout growers!  So perhaps they prefer light, free-draining soil, different conditions to other sprouts.  A few always blow at the bottom, but in the main they remain sound.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 08:47:33 by earlypea »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal