Author Topic: veg questions  (Read 1481 times)

kymrob

• Half Acre
veg questions
« on: October 29, 2010, 13:58:43 »
its our first which we  have enjoyed so much still so much to learn!
now parsnips i have had a couple still quite few left do i leave them in till i want them? as friendly neigbour told us to dig up and replant them :D

sprouts looking ok small ones starting to form will they continue to grow over winter as many other peoples all look  ready ???

swede looking sad its not very round quite small but smells lovely!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: veg questions
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 15:18:07 »
so much still so much to learn!

Haven't we all  :)
now parsnips i have had a couple still quite few left do i leave them in till i want them?

Yes leave, and  lift as required in fact there are many would say that they taste better if they have had a bite of frost!

as friendly neigbour told us to dig up and replant them

I don't want to criticise your friendly neighbour but what I am guessing he/she meant is;

if you lift a few you can bury them in either compost/peat/sand and they will store quite well.

But you certainly can't replant them to grow again as such!

OK I guess you might be able to do so if you want to run them to seed for future use.

many other peoples all look  ready

This will be down to variety some mature earlier than others.

swede looking sad its not very round quite small but smells lovely!

Shape doesn't realy matter!

They way I look at them is.............they are all the same shape when they get past your lips..........now taste!!.......then thats another thing!

Glad you are happy with your first seasons produce!

kymrob

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 15:25:01 »
thanks for reply tee hee great help nice to be reassured, i just hope sprouts will b ready for xmas !

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 17:18:23 »
As TG says leave them in the ground, the frosts will improve the taste, if you feel you have to take them out then freeze them and as for replanting I think he was having you on, I just checked it's deffo not April 1st.      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

kymrob

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 18:15:27 »
yer i thought it to be weird but he do do it! another person dig theirs up and store them on the ground upside down in a teepee shape! think im leaving ours in!  ;D

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 09:43:08 »
Only one thing to add, if you are leaving parsnips in you might want to identify where they are so you can find them again after the tops have died away for when you come to dig them up.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 11:43:36 »
The only thing about leaving parsnips in the ground is if you have a heavy soil digging them up during the winter when the soil is sodden is not a nice task.

As your neighbours is digging and then replanting/stacking then I guess your soil is also like this.

I think I may try the replanting idea, that is I will dig them up and then put back on their sides with just an inch or 2 of soil, then when needed I can just scrape away the soil/mud and pick out the nips.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal