Author Topic: Eggs  (Read 2700 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Eggs
« on: August 13, 2010, 13:59:21 »
How do other chicken keepers store their eggs? I know they are fresh but can't work out a way to store them by day. They just get put in a bowl each day. If I am giving any away I like to give the freshest.

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: Eggs
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 14:51:21 »
I am always getting in a pickle (or should I say I was! :-[) with this.  I ended up boxing them and writing on the boxes!  That said when you are given back the boxes you need to mark them somehow.

Old Bird

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 15:18:19 »
Im not too bothered with eggs being exactly in day order as they never get older than few days anyway before they are used...but I've got large egg tray that I try to fill in order from left to right..so I've got some idea which are the freshest ones..and during 'glut' times..when tray is not enough...I just put each days eggs on separate 'dish'..plastic takeaway containers do come handy..they hold 6 eggs nicely, and that is what I usually get per day ;)

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 23:18:15 »
I also use egg trays to store the eggs. I only put them into boxes as I sell them. I cut strips of paper to go under the last egg of the day and write the date on the strip.

Anisemary

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 00:46:25 »
I also like to give mine away as fresh as possible GJ, so I have 15 hole egg boxes each marked with a day of the week (because that usually covers the maximum days lay) and I re-use these every week, decanting them into other egg boxes as required. When the 'daily' ones get tatty I just compost them and replace them with newer.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 07:12:09 »
Good ideas here, not that I get that many ::). We've only got 4 bantams so not really prolific layers. I should get some more hens ;D.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 15:36:16 »
This is something I have been pondering for our incoming chickens. I have found this and thought it might be a good idea. http://www.ascott.biz/acatalog/Date-Stamp-for-Egg-Marking-PY315.html

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 17:09:15 »
Stamp does make it easier...but shame to mark perfect eggs ::) They will look like shop bought ::)...I have one of those stamp things from wilko..I think I payed about £0.99 for one..I'm not sure about the where to get food grade ink pads otherwise though..

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 21:23:27 »
Just reading this post its funny how we all like to give away our freshest eggs. I had a glut as I didn't use many eggs then we had a BBQ and my husband decided to give some eggs away to guests. I was worring that the eggs he gave weren't very good the next day. I try to put the freshest at the bottom in egg boxes.
Does anyone put theirs in the fridge??

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 19:28:29 »
I write the date on the eggs in pencil it really helps!
x sunloving

chicken girl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 21:56:14 »
Get an eggskelter you can but them online this way the eggs are always in order
just type in search engine eggsketer and you will find it also keep eggs rounded end up  :)

chicken girl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 22:14:40 »
Try the domesticfowltrust.co.uk 

rog_pete

• Quarter Acre
  • the photo from 10 Dec when took over the plot
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 14:27:18 »
i use the date stamp technique if I have got a lot stored.

I generally get rid of them quickly and use the ray technique, oldest eggs go first, usually oldest are only 3 or 4 days old

Do not put eggs in fridge, eggs are porous and can absorb the smells and flavours in the fridge, therefore in the fridge they could end up tasting like whatever else is in there

There was an experiment to make truffle eggs, normal eggs put in a jar with a truffle, and low and behold after a day the egg tasted of truffles, for a mere fraction of the price of bought ones
Rog n Pete

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 08:37:16 »
We don't have a lot, most so far is 16 in a week but they are bantams & 1 is 3 years old her babies are about 10 months.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 11:31:11 »
I always put mine in egg boxes and store them in the fridge.  They keep for longer this way.  I have never had any complaints from anyone about their taste; in fact I have more customers than I have eggs to spare and everyone says how lovely they are.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal