Author Topic: Hand luggage?  (Read 2320 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Hand luggage?
« on: May 10, 2010, 07:23:53 »
ABW I am off to Portugal this week & am only taking hand luggage. What am I allowed to take liquid wise? I've bought a couple of 100ml empty bottles. I wanted to take the ginger cordial I drink as I don't drink tea or coffee but am not sure it will be allowed in hand luggage. I am with Jet2. 

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Hand luggage?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 07:53:41 »
I think the rules are universal now... ::) No bigger than 100ml bottles of liquid..so unless you can get your cordial in that size.. ::) Could you get ginger consentrate that you could dilute with water...as you get through passport control then you could buy bigger bottle of water and make your mix and take that with you.. ;D..and they do water in planes anyway...

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 08:03:37 »
Goodlife it's to take with me for the week at my friends house. I only drink Belvoir organic ginger cordial, herb teas & water with very occasional coffee. Dairy intolerant so that will be a no no while I am away :). At least I can take my lovely gluten free bread with me.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 08:07:58 »
You would have to have the label on it I think and I think you are OK to take more than one.I had 4 100ml bottles of cranberry juice when I travelled last and they were ok with that, you need a zip lock bag to put them in and there are restrictions on size of the bag..it will be on their web site

Tip re bottles if you are travellin. I had a talc in my hand luggage, not in the 100 ml thing as it wasn't liquid but it was in a bottle shape, so they frisked my luggage and wouldn't tell me why till they found it

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 08:15:28 »
And you have to have all your liquids (including toothpaste, make-up etc ) in a clear, selable bag which you have to show as you go through.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 08:16:25 »

It is a risk to take any liquid in hand luggage because the security person's decision is final. If they take it off you there is nothing you can do but drink the water for sale at a hugely inflated price once you have passed through security.  If it is Manchester airport. Boots the Chemist and WH Smith sell water in the shopping mall and that is much less expensive than buying water on board the plane.

Oddly enough milk is cheaper than water. Himself always buys that there, just before we board so  he can have a cup of tea as soon as we arrive at the hotel and brew up, using the travel kettle he wont go anywhere without.

You can take as much liquid as you want with you in your suitcase which is checked in though.

Any liquids in the 100 ml bottles need to be clearly displayed in one of those little plastic bags they supply just before you go through the security check.

Are there any herbal teas you like?

You can put a tea bag or two into your handbag and just ask on the plane for hot water to brew it with?  Just ask. I do. They sell tea, coffee and chocolate now when the drink trolley comes round. The powder is in the carton but if you have one of those unbreakable beakers of your own and are prepared to pay for the hot water (they charge for everything now) There should not be a problem.

Hope you all have a lovely, volcanic cloud free holiday.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 08:20:59 »
I don't see why you couldn't take a couple of 100ml bottles, but they may get suspicious of too many, can you make ginger tea there.....

http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/3/a/Ginger_Tea.htm

or some ginger tea bags from Holland and Barrett...

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=1728&prodid=1851

I must admit I had expected to find more ginger tea bags than I did, one of my jobs for today was to go and buy some as my daughter is having lots of migraines at the moment and we thought it would help.

Have a good holiday anyway, hope your flight is not affected by the ash cloud. :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 08:21:31 »
I bought some ginger and lime herbal tea bags that are nice as cold brew...forgot to drink while hot, that is.. ::)...and they were from..oh..ether Holland and Barratt or Asda...didn't do any good for the memory... ::)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 08:22:54 »
...snap.... ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal