Author Topic: Lupin Seedlings and frost  (Read 5110 times)

Becca

• Not So New ...
Lupin Seedlings and frost
« on: February 01, 2010, 23:26:03 »
Hi,
 so i bought some lupin seedlings from the garden centre when i was getting some primroses. I have never grown these before.  I assume since they were for sale they are hardy enough, but just thought i'd check as the instructions on the plant pots dont say much.   at the moment i have been putting them out during the day and bringin in at night but as we had a hard frost the other night i'm bit cautious on planting them out.
i presume given their height they need to develop a good root structure.  would i be better off potting them on for now and waiting a week or two. ( is there going to be a big freeze strike 2? )  im on east coast of eire and on quite exposed site.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Lupin Seedlings and frost
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 12:31:01 »
I assume since they were for sale they are hardy enough, but just thought i'd check as the instructions on the plant pots dont say much.   

Too many unknowns to give you a definitive answer but based on the info given I would say;

Yes they are quite hardy but they are not in a natural setting in a pot.

The root system is more exposed in a pot than they would be if they were in the ground so there is the potential for the pot to freeze.

This in itself might not be a problem but it will certainly retard the growth!

I would go with your thoughts; if they need potting up then do, and carry on moving them indoors and out and be very sparing with the water.

You could put them outdoors in a cold frame or under a cloche in a sheltered spot!

A plastic pop bottle with its base removed should suffice if you dont have a frame or cloches. (one bottle/plant)

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 13:50:34 »
I assume since they were for sale they are hardy enough.

Never a good assumption. most plants are grown in poly-tunnels, nice cozy warm places, away from the elements.

However lupins are very hardy - once hardened off - even in pots.

How big are the plants/pots.

I grow mine from seed and am just getting round to sowing a few that will grow well this year and flower next. they will be left out all next winter - in 3 ltr pots.

You are doing the right thing by not leaving them out at night to freeze, but when outside, keep them from getting too much (ice-cold) rain - the poor little root-lets dont like it.

I'd either bring in until March, putting them in to a cool bright, but not direct sun lit position, or as TG suggests, make them cloches, but still bring them in if its a hard long frost (if the soil is quite wet, this will kill the roots.).

Good luck.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 14:42:28 »
To avoid confusion between my interpretation and PW's

However lupins are very hardy - once hardened off - even in pots.

Agreed! but the key is 'once hardened off'

How big are the plants/pots.

As I said 'too many unknowns' and I had assumed your plants are in 3"-4"- pots at the moment.

If I am correct then they need some protection as I think PW would agree.

OK once they are established and in large pots like PW described they are quite hardy, but I still like to grow them in the border soil it seems more natural.

Never a good assumption. most plants are grown in poly-tunnels, nice cozy warm places, away from the elements.

I totally agree but I guess there is a limit to the amount of information the suppliers can give.

When you consider the label gives the same limited information to both a garden centre or a supermarket is it any wonder the buyer becomes confused? Chances are the garden centre as in this case would have the plants in a relatively cool place whereas the supermarket will have them in a centrally heated place.

Sorry for stepping in like I have  PW, but I thought I would try and prevent any confusion!

I grow mine from seed and am just getting round to sowing a few

Snap! I just pricked out a few this morning!

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 14:59:25 »
No worries, TG.

In any case I normally feel I'm standing on the shoulders of giants.  8)

I grow mine in deeeeeep 2 or 3ltr pots (the type clematis come in) with copper tape around the top, because I struggle with slugs. These are then plunged into the borders.

In the damper areas of the garden, these are then lifted over winter and stored in the unheated greenhouse. I get a few die on me, but not many.

All my spare seedlings get sold on by the local scouts who have their gala day in June.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal