Author Topic: potato grow bags - cheap & long lasting  (Read 7235 times)

johnny

• Not So New ...
potato grow bags - cheap & long lasting
« on: July 09, 2009, 22:46:14 »
hey all;
first post in this forum- feel a bit of a fraud as i dont have an allotement but am on the waiting list in my area - have a largeish veggie patch in my garden, this is my first season :-), this was just a little idea i had at the begining of the year and all those who are about to start on your christmas spuds, instead of using flimsy compost bags or expensive potato bags, has any one thought of the supermarket bags, i use tesco big bag for life, they have a good weave in them and hold about 5 potato plants in each, i'm hoping that each bag will last for the next couple of years, also they have a good handle sown into them so its easy to manover a full bag closer to the house when it starts to get cold nov/dec. each bag was about 45p each so cheap as chips compared to what the garden centers are trying to flog.
(apologise if someone else has already thought of this idea)
cheers johnny

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: potato grow bags - cheap & long lasting
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 23:02:53 »
Hi Jonny welcome to the site.  Don't feel a fraud.  There is lots of advice to be had on this site. 

I think your scheme for potatoes is a good one.  Lots of people thinking about growing new potatoes for Xmas. 

I am sure you will get some more welcomes soon.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 08:36:27 »
No need to feel embarrassed! That sounds like a good idea.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 10:50:57 »
I've been given a couple of large recycling bags from the recycling centre, The sort for papers & magazines.They should hold a few potatoes for Christmas ;D.

johnny

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 22:08:05 »
just note i've checked the bags and they are "the big green bigs" but ironically are blue in colour ???,

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 02:14:22 »
I had good results growing spuds in builders bulk bags filled with topsoil and manure... all components from freecycle (lucky I have a van).... spuds were donated by someone else who had them spare and all in all a good experiment... plus they hold down the weed fabric a treat :D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 17:36:06 »
(I've read the warning that this topic is more than 30 days old - but I'm going to bump it, cos I've just today bought bags of Pink Fir Apple tats from Wilkos & intend to grow them in grow-bags of some sort - hope you're reading, Johnny 8))

Now then...gardening for others, I got splendid results last year for a client , using those concertina-up rubbish bags you use to tote around your garden, dark green in colour, bought at the Pound Shop - know the ones I mean? A few drainage holes in the bottom, and we were away. I was most impressed with the slug-free tatties that resulted, so I'm going to do the same myself this year, given that I don't eat many potatoes - but love the taste of PFAs. Another consideration for me this year is that I may be on the move, so I want most of my crops to be transportable!

45p a bag? I wuz robbed, then, paying £1 :o.....wondered how it went Johnny, or, for anyone else who habitually grows potatoes in containers, any other suggestions, please?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 19:36:15 »
we grew spuds in the concertina leaf bags last year, Hyacinth, couldn't move them once they were earthed up though, lots of lovely, clean spuds  ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 21:32:51 »
Yeah Mal, these wouldn't have been easy to move either, but reckon prof. movers will have the gubbins to do so? Gonna be doing garlic in them, or something similar, too...worth a try...

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 09:01:41 »
well worth it, we're doing dwarf french beans in them this year, too many of my yin/yang were on the floor and got munched, here's hoping the slugs leave them alone a bit, fat chance  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal