Author Topic: Getting hens and looking for suitable housing  (Read 1724 times)

Geoff H

• Half Acre
Getting hens and looking for suitable housing
« on: November 15, 2009, 21:12:45 »
I have been given the go ahead to get some chickens. My mother in law agreed that we could have some at her house. The deeds mean that we cannot have them at home. All I can keep are bees.  :(
I have found a web site that does electric netting - I want to move them round on a grassed area which I am going to extend. I am looking around for reasonable priced hen houses - I plan to have about 5 large fowl. Some pf the ones I have seen look rather grand and appropriately priced. I am useless at building one myself. Anyone able to point me in the direction of a firm or firms that do decent, reasonably priced hen housing?

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
Re: Getting hens and looking for suitable housing
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 22:08:47 »
We have an old shed we just made some perches and nest boxes for them. Cheaper than buying a proper hen house! :D

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 22:49:35 »
Have you seen those small bike shed things, they may be okay for 5 hens but probably not sturdy enough to move around. Some of the hen houses on the net seem either too small or ridiculously expensive (and too small).

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 16:38:07 »
It won't be brilliant quality (Chinese made, I guess) but this is remarkably cheap http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Poultry-coop-Hen-Fowl-Bantam-Chicken-house-nest-box-007_W0QQitemZ180426337570QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry?hash=item2a023f6d22

You could easily put it on wheels, or attach carrying handles to move it around.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal