Author Topic: Squash Lunga Piena di Napoli  (Read 5776 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Squash Lunga Piena di Napoli
« on: October 27, 2009, 16:25:00 »
First time I've grown this one - doubt if I'll grow it again!

The biggest one weighed a massive 52 pounds so I cut it into slices at the allotment and gave some away.

[attachment=1]

I've just roasted some and it is the opposite of Bon Bon - not at all dry.  In fact, so much water came out of it that I had to drain the tray halfway through cooking it.  Didn't like the flavour much so I've whizzed it in the processor and made it into soup.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Squash Lunga Piena di Napoli
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 17:08:26 »
That's interesting, I wonder if there are some special recipies for this squash? Such as grilling it or as this quick google search showed up - "Another way of cooking the pumpkin in the Neapolitan tradition is the famous pasta and
pumpkin, or pumpkin preserved in oil and red wine vinegar" (it didn't actually say how you do this tho!!

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 17:21:21 »
I gave my (Italian) sister in law a slice and she fried hers.  Dipped it in egg and then flour and fried it in olive oil.
I don't do much frying, but she said it was delicious.

I've given away about three quarters of it.  Maybe my neighbours would like some..............
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 17:23:39 »
I also try and avoid frying but that sounds delicious! Think I might give that a go with one of my squash anyway  :)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 17:44:05 »
52 lbs?  :o
....I've got some spare seeds for next year if anyone is interested... I won't want more than a couple of these........

chrisc

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 17:54:56 »
Looks good to me.  I would love a couple of seeds if you have any spare. xxxx

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 01:27:35 »
52 lbs?  :o
....I've got some spare seeds for next year if anyone is interested... I won't want more than a couple of these........

chrisc

after wrestling myself into a sharkfin squash this past evening (and I'm very aware i have 5 more of the darn things to eat ::)), i ask myself why am i asking you for a couple seeds if you still have spare, i must be a glutton for punishment :-\.

First time I've grown this one - doubt if I'll grow it again!

The biggest one weighed a massive 52 pounds so I cut it into slices at the allotment and gave some away.

[attachment=1]

I've just roasted some and it is the opposite of Bon Bon - not at all dry.  In fact, so much water came out of it that I had to drain the tray halfway through cooking it.  Didn't like the flavour much so I've whizzed it in the processor and made it into soup.

That's interesting, I wonder if there are some special recipies for this squash? Such as grilling it or as this quick google search showed up - "Another way of cooking the pumpkin in the Neapolitan tradition is the famous pasta and
pumpkin, or pumpkin preserved in oil and red wine vinegar" (it didn't actually say how you do this tho!!

i just came across a link which names it as a traditional soup making squash.

http://www.italian-food-recipes.net/2007/10/pumpkin.html

This kind is traditionally used with other vegetables for the preparation of pumpkin soup and minestrone. This variety includes Piena di Chioggia, Lunga invernale di Napoli and Tromboncino di Albenga.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 03:36:59 »
Hi Kella and Lou, PM me addresses and i'll get them out.... reminds me I need to sort out my swap list properly.....

chrisc

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 07:42:05 »
Chris - as a sucker for punishment I'd like to try some too - if you have anyspare left that is  ;D

Thifasmom - thanks for the link to the italian food site - lots of lovely recipies to try!

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 09:06:12 »
Hi Kella and Lou, PM me addresses and i'll get them out.... reminds me I need to sort out my swap list properly.....

chrisc

thanks Chris done and dusted.

Chris - as a sucker for punishment I'd like to try some too - if you have anyspare left that is  ;D

Thifasmom - thanks for the link to the italian food site - lots of lovely recipies to try!

no probs 1066, if its one thing i have learnt from growing all these different varieties, is to search out recipes from their origins as this can make a hell of a difference on the enjoyability of some of the stranger ones, iykwim.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal