Author Topic: What is classed as a small holding?  (Read 2526 times)

cocopops

• Acre
What is classed as a small holding?
« on: July 27, 2009, 20:03:42 »
We held a bbq on Saturday and a friend's friend said you have so many animals it is like a small holding.  Our garden is 2000m sq. 

Is it the amount of animals or the land?  I would only love to know as my 'best friend  :-X' at college lived in a teeny but lovely cottage, which she insisted was a small holding. It had 3500sq of land and a horse.

I love what we have, loads of animals, enjoying all of them and being able to walk out of our gate into the country side, pure rural heaven.

Cocopops

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Re: What is classed as a small holding?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 20:13:09 »
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 20:16:35 »
The 'common' definition is based on size, bigger than an allotment, smaller than a farm, generally held to be up to 50 acres and rented out for agricultural purposes.

There is also a specific definition in law - it's a smallholding if it can be worked by a maximum of two persons full-time.

I don't know of any definition involving animals.  You can have a smallholding with no animals.

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 20:28:09 »
Lucky you  ;D

My idea of heaven is a smallholding and to that end I have been looking for 1 to buy for the last year.  ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 09:15:30 »
Ishard,
              are you looking in the right places, a friend of mine had a place for sale at AB Kettleby last year with land at the rear suitable for a smallholding, :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 10:03:00 »
Well at least nobody has ben smutty about it...  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal