Author Topic: lemon balm  (Read 2083 times)

STEVEB

• Acre
lemon balm
« on: June 23, 2009, 21:14:54 »
I just read that this is good to rub on the skin to deter biting beasties...any opinions?
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

Kepouros

• Hectare
Re: lemon balm
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 22:29:57 »
It does keep a few of the less enthuastic ones away, but there are a great many much more effective remedies when the nadgers are really hungry.

Heartysoup

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 15:33:35 »
Do tell kepouros...

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 22:47:47 »
I should first mention that for many years my wife and I used to spend our holidays fishing in the Western Highlands of Scotland where the flying beasties take two forms - mosquitoes which home in on you in vast swarms, smothering every inch of exposed skin, and clegs, which are the size of a small bumble bee and leave you covered in large sore lumps.  After many years of trying out just about every product available we found AUTAN, and once suitable smothered in this we were able to carry on fishing in peace, disturbed only by the occasional excitement of landing a plump brown trout.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 23:08:33 »
avon skin so soft spray used by the royal marines in Afghanistan and works on the lottie too, i know as  i must have a neon sign that only mozzies can see advertising the dave all you eat buffet, but since using the spray not been bitten once and its only about £1.75 now down from £5. works for me but youll have to give it a try to see if you think it works but i haven't been bitten since using it.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 23:15:38 »
I should first mention that for many years my wife and I used to spend our holidays fishing in the Western Highlands of Scotland where the flying beasties take two forms - mosquitoes which home in on you in vast swarms, smothering every inch of exposed skin, and clegs, which are the size of a small bumble bee and leave you covered in large sore lumps.  After many years of trying out just about every product available we found AUTAN, and once suitable smothered in this we were able to carry on fishing in peace, disturbed only by the occasional excitement of landing a plump brown trout.

You forgot the dreaded midge!

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 23:02:02 »
No I didn`t Robert - they are the ones I graced with apellation mosquito because I didn`t think anyone would be impressed if I called them midges.  They normally run at about 5,000 per facefull and several hundred for each exposed hand.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 13:47:29 »
No I didn`t Robert - they are the ones I graced with apellation mosquito because I didn`t think anyone would be impressed if I called them midges.  They normally run at about 5,000 per facefull and several hundred for each exposed hand.

Mozzies are bigger, fewer, and as long as they're not carrying malaria, much less of a menace.

midnightvelvet

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 22:46:25 »

Eeeek! All thsi talk of beasties is making me itch  :-\ :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal