Author Topic: pea sticks  (Read 1351 times)

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
pea sticks
« on: May 04, 2009, 17:49:30 »
shoved this stick thing up on the half cultivated bottom half of my plot. I saw one similar in an old book. The idea is the peas grow up in the middle and are held in by the sticks.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Re: pea sticks
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 17:55:08 »
I have done something similar.  Cut down some old flower wooden stems from the allotment next door, which the lady has given up, and said help yourself.  She was leaving them as said the birds loved them.  I cut of the flower heads on the unused allotment as didn't want them to spread to mine, have enough weeds/wild flowers of my own.  Stuck them in the peas which I have netted, and hopefully they will grow up them.  Don't know what the plant was but it looks similar to your photo.  Did search the neglected sites for twigs but as most of the allotment sites are now in use, not much luck.  Have some chicken wire but a devil to cut to size.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 18:02:53 »
twigs look fantastic, chicken wire looks rubbish.

We're lucky in our plot as there are tons of overgrown hedges that get cut every few years leaving lots of old twiggy stuff at the back.

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 20:48:59 »
half cultivated? it looks fab!

I didn't have room for a Christmas tree this year so I had some twigs from the florist with baubles on, the twigs are now being reused for the peas, i do like the look of twigs and the peas like them too.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 21:35:18 »
What a good idea legless, have got some of those Christmas twigs gathering dust. They will be down the plot tomorrow - the peas won't mind the twigs are painted silvery white!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal