Author Topic: Concrete Removal from Spade  (Read 2293 times)

Levi

• Half Acre
Concrete Removal from Spade
« on: March 25, 2009, 02:28:11 »
I have 'acquired' a spade that is coated in old concrete, does anyone have a good tip to get it off please? I have soaked it in hot water and plan to have a go with bicarb and then descaler but would be grateful for any tips please. It might be a no-go but was a cheapo from boot sale. Last Thursday I managed to have a s/s spade bend on me and then I bent my fork so went to carboot to see if I would get owt to put me on til I sort decent replacements. Managed to find a nice S & J fork but fell for the spade cos of the nice wooden handle  ::)
Have done some searching on here but remember reading a post where folk were talking about good quality tools which I cannot find, so if anyone can help I'd appreciate it. I know there's a recent on but this was pre-Christmas I think.   
One Love

gardentg44

• Hectare
Re: Concrete Removal from Spade
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 07:11:39 »
done it with a shovel Levi,

simply tap the blade with a ballhead hammer,

then finish off with a wire brush & plenty of digging.

it will soon come up like new
kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 23:06:29 »
You may have a 'navy' shovel rather than a 'spade' but the previous post will work!
SS tools are too soft - so avoid!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Levi

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 06:53:49 »
Ta for that. Had a bash, hurt me ears but it worked, will go for the wire brush treatment today. Its a Bulldog and I think its a border spade, its not a biggy. Had a dig with it on Thursday and it felt really good. Just hated thinking I'd fell for a pup but am well chuffed now. Gave my old spares away to a local project last year but wasn't partial to them anyway. These two 'new to me' ones feel like real tools if you know what I  mean.
One Love

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 15:34:20 »
Levi,
A 'Bulldog' is a very good make - well done!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal