Author Topic: wild garlic  (Read 1826 times)

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
wild garlic
« on: November 09, 2008, 11:34:03 »
does anyone grow this or have it nearby as I'd like to know what it likes - damp I am guessing and not to be over cultivated? Can you start if from seed or does it have to be bulbs - again I am thinking of my meadow to be which is clay, heavily walked previously by cattle so it has hoof potholes (real ankle breaking terrain) and as clay is either notoriously hard and dry or wet and soggy but I'm hoping to use the pot holes to slowly build little microclimates of flowers etc

appreciate any info  :)

spinny

• Not So New ...
    • Perennial Veg
Re: wild garlic
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 13:23:21 »
Wild garlic (also known as Ransoms) likes woodland areas.  I have it growing in heavy clay on the side of a mountain, in an area which is quite well shaded.
I'm not sure if it's available from seed but bulbs are easy to get hold of.
In addition to the garlic, you might like to try growing three-cornered leeks, which like similar conditions.

Hope this helps

Spinny

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 22:21:45 »
Take care because Wild Garlic can spread quickly if it is growing in a wodland situation, damp shady and lots of leaf mould. Do not grow Allium triquetrum (three cornered leek), the wild form is an absolute 'thug' and when you have it, removal is very very difficuly.

spinny

• Not So New ...
    • Perennial Veg
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 00:05:16 »
That's a matter of opinion.
I control my three-cornered leek very effectively and have no problems. (the same with my ransoms!) I do know people who have had problems establishing it.
I speak as I find, with more than twenty years experience of growing both of them........

Spinny

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 08:42:05 »
thanks both, much appreciated - if getting the garlic to establish turns out to reasonably easy i don't mind it taking over for awhile, but even a meadow needs careful management - do you harvest the garlic at all

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 22:38:44 »
The leaves and flowers can be used in salads but the flavour is quite strong so you will need to adjust the amount you use according to taste. The bulbs are quite small compared with cultivated garlic but they can be used in recipies. I have not tried either.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal