Author Topic: raised beds - cheap  (Read 1167 times)

straush

• Half Acre
raised beds - cheap
« on: November 01, 2008, 12:03:57 »
i expect to have my allotment for only a couple of years (before moving again)

what is the cheapest way to get raised beds set up  -  i do not want to buy really expensive treated wood beds (that last 10 years) from the garden centers.

my allotment was not used for a year and i have just dug it all over and got rid (hopefully)  of all the thistle and couch grass.

next step = raised beds.

any suggestions will help 

betula

• Hectare
Re: raised beds - cheap
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 12:18:39 »
I think if you are moving ,have a look in skips or look around for scrap wood.

Then again,you could buy better quality and screw them together.That way you could take them with you. :)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 12:21:37 »
Get some old pallets and break them down for the timber.  It's not the best quality wood but will certainly last a few years.  Builders merchants, garden centres etc will usually give awy the ones that are not returnable.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 12:24:14 »
you can raise beds without anything surround ing them, just earth up as much soil as possible and keep the edges slightly slanted inwards at the top to keep it all in place - cheapest of all  :)

straush

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 12:26:29 »
thank you -  will look around and if not successful will just slant the edges

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 16:56:23 »
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 17:51:06 »
If i were you i would go with the pallet idea you can break them down over time and start stockpiling lenths of wood which should be all the same size. You might even be able to find some suitable protector to paint them with :)

Then depentant on your mode of transport you could pre-manufacture your beds in the dry and then just drop them in place as you clear space :)

Good luck with getting the lotty....

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 18:07:53 »
here's a tip for everyone.  ;check out your local scaffolding companies they nearly all ways have condemed boards that they cant use! they may be willing to give you them for free or maybe haggle on a cheap price.they also will have old netting and also they may be willing to part with old pipes that are bent which cut down would make exellent stakes. ;D i hate paying for stuff so beg steel or borrow especialy if your moving.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal