Author Topic: new macbook  (Read 2783 times)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
new macbook
« on: July 15, 2008, 07:02:52 »
my wife got 1 of these yesterday, It was the easiest computer to set-up i've ever seen!! Just connect to our router, turn on. It asked if she already has a mac? (she does)It asked her to register it, (did that), then it connected via router to mac and copied everything (including all software apps and folders onto itself. Just sat and drank tea! no sweat, no swearing!! ;D ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
Re: new macbook
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 07:48:06 »
I just love macs! worth the extra dosh!  ;)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 08:07:05 »
Me too! I've hardly touched my PC since I got my Mac. I now have an iphone too which is total class.

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 08:25:27 »
Same here. i've had a Mac mini since Christmas and am impossibly smug.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 08:29:25 »
I'm beginning to think that my next pooter will be a mac, my wife's are a d**n sight more user-friendly!!  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 08:39:41 »
you can get office for macs too if you need office for work as I do although Mac's pages and numbers are just as good if not better.

It is also able to read incoming documents. None of the windows' not knowing what programme created it stuff.

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 09:15:50 »
I think that if you start loading your Mac with microsoft programmes, like Office, you're going to get all those microsoft viruses. Best to stick with Apple stuff - they work better anyway.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 09:53:01 »
You don't get viruses from Office. The Mac stuff is great and my Mac can open everything anyone sends me. unfortunately the PCs at my work ain't so clever and can't read the Mac documents or lose the formatting so it makes life easier for me to have Office too. When I sent out Mac minutes to the other allotment committee members some of them were unable to read the attachment which I had to redo in Office.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 12:32:11 »
You don't get viruses from Office.
You do.
Macro viruses are computer viruses that use an application's own built-in macro programming language to distribute themselves and corrupt documents and possibly other files. Both Macintosh and Windows computers are susceptible to Microsoft Office macro viruses. In general, macro viruses propagate themselves by modifying the Normal template file in Microsoft Office documents.
Macro viruses will run within MS Office on a Mac & spread into other documents on the machine. If an infected document is then transferred to & opened on a Windows machine it will rapidly spread through the other documents on that machine too.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 13:08:51 »
my wife has the office : mac 2004. student and teacher edition. she got it through her uni. and she runs norton, safe as can be!
You couldn't make it up!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 14:16:15 »
Both Macintosh and Windows computers are susceptible to Microsoft Office macro viruses.

Yes of course you are quite right. I expressed myself poorly. All I meant was that installing Office does not install a virus. Like Tony's wife's, my MacBook has the usual antivirus software installed so I think I'm as well protected as possible.

I would gladly dispense with all things Microsoft.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal