Author Topic: new edibles, well for me anyway  (Read 1085 times)

peasmad

• Quarter Acre
new edibles, well for me anyway
« on: June 23, 2008, 22:48:18 »
Have just ordered some seeds, any tips on growing them that are not common knowledge?
Strawberry sticks, and Cape gooseberry for next year. Goji berry and a sea kale 'lily white' that is sposed to be a perennial.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: new edibles, well for me anyway
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 22:54:31 »
The Cape gooseberry needs a very sheltered spot or a greenhouse... but if happy it makes a huge plant. After that it is fairly trouble and care free...
 ;D

peasmad

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 21:56:03 »
rightho, but will the cape goosey be ok in a large pot. I have no borders in my polytunnel

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 02:02:42 »
The CG will be fine in a pot, though when it reaches the roof, it may well attack you.

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 09:55:39 »
for the sea kale it depends where you are as it can prove to be a bit tender - for me (in the north west) I grow it in large pots and bring it into the greenhouse to overwinter and then I force in early spring - fab flavour, serve with a hollandaise sauce  ;D

don't see it mentioned very much on here

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 11:15:28 »
what's a strawberry stick??
I had cape gooseberries last year, in the UK maybe best to shelter them, but here in Britanny they were outside. It was a bit wet for them but they grew well, you might need to force some heat to get teh fruit to ripen though. The picked fruit keeps for ages as long as you keep the husks on. I agree that they go rampant in a spot they like!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 18:35:40 »
With Sea Kale try to remember where it was come next early spring-I`ve dug them up by mistake too many times

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal