Author Topic: Used Garden tools  (Read 5909 times)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Used Garden tools
« on: April 28, 2008, 16:10:05 »
If any of you live within striking distance of Stratford upon Avon there is a chap on the Car Boot which is on the racecourse on a Saturday morning, he  sells used Garden tools the spades and forks are all cleaned up and he sells them for less than a tenner :)

Gazfoz

• Acre
Re: Used Garden tools
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 18:51:20 »
Now you tell me ;D ;D ;D

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 08:45:38 »
LOl Mr Smith on our car boot in Melton theres a guy that sells garden tools including metall handled spades and forks for 4 quid.

I got all mine there

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 09:15:10 »
Maybe we can take all the posts about people having their sheds broken in to and tools stolen and compare it with used tools being offered for sale at boot sales.

We may be able to start our own 'Allotment Crimewatch'. ;)
Best laid plans and all that

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 16:26:33 »
Ishard     
                   I also go down to that rip off Car boot  in MM infact it is not even a car boot these days they are all traders over priced on all kinds of stuff, and  in my case it was £10 for an edging tool,  in  Stratford it was a £5 :)

Arumlily

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 13:37:36 »
Oh not fair why does it have to be in strattford. I love used tools, they are the best!! Anyone know if there are any in the south.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 09:31:14 »
Many of my allotment tools come from a man who displays them in Battle market East Sussex, and no doubt elsewhere. The best is grass edge trimmer shears sharp as a razor and very effective, cost £5 and borrowed by allotment neighbours because better than their expensive ones.

cliffe.kent

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 22:30:43 »
in view of todays break in on our site, does anyone ask where he gets these tools from? . cleaned up as a bargain at someone elses expense?

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 20:48:28 »
Sad thought. He seems a nice man who just loves tools. He sharpens, cleans and oils them, and sells them for very little. I like to believe he is recycling unloved throwouts from farm sales etc.

Maybe I am naive. Many of his tools are really weird - difficult to believe he found them in the average allotment shed.

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 21:07:48 »
Maybe we can take all the posts about people having their sheds broken in to and tools stolen and compare it with used tools being offered for sale at boot sales.

We may be able to start our own 'Allotment Crimewatch'. ;)

Just what I was thinking.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 21:39:56 »
We went we bought and I think he is honest and shall call again.

powerspade

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 08:00:26 »
Over sixty garden sheds broken into last month in Pontypool where are the tools going? Police say car boots obvious choice

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 09:59:42 »
I do not advocate theft by any means but the majority of garden tools have wooden shafts so why not put a mark on the shaft or something similar, and when you do spot your spade at the car boot ask the person can you have a look at it  smack over the head and walk off with the spade ;)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 02:32:08 »
if you go to your local recycling centre you usaly find a load of tools in a pile and pay 50pence to a quid for them each. I popped in today and there was a good onion hoe which needed sharpening, a fork which needed some tape on the rough handle and a spade that was 2 big for me so as i only needed the spade i left them. But i have in the past picked up all sorts of useful tools there including a long handled garden claw which had nothing wrong with it and i gave to someone on the lotty as a gift :)

Pumper

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 16:53:55 »
We aren't allowed to have a shed, so we leave our tools up the lottie under a bramble bush.
We only get cheapo B&Q 5 quid jobbies so it doesn't hurt too much when they get nicked (twice now).

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 15:29:27 »
I very much feel that I am incredibly lucky with where I live.

Every time I hear of vandalism theft etc it is an "accepted" part of life.  Down here in the West Country - of course we have theft etc but I haven't heard of any allotment thefts.  Burglary obviously happens but very very rarely!

I must come accross as a sanctimonious git at times but I really don't see or - locally - hear at all this sort of problem.

I think it must be quite ghastly - and to accept that this happens on a regular basis seems even worse.  I can understand that if crime is rife where you live there must be a sort of fear each time you go out - have I locked - have I switched on burglar alarm etc. 

I don't lock my car in the town!  I leave my back door/garage door unlocked.  I wander in very open lonely countryside without a care in the world!

I am very lucky - and the more I hear of all your troubles - it makes me appreciate how lucky I am.

I am so sorry for you all that suffer this way and only wish that I could help other than give my written support!

Old Bird

:(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal