Author Topic: Rhubarb Bed...  (Read 3532 times)

Isleworth

• Half Acre
    • http://plot31a.blogspot.com/
Rhubarb Bed...
« on: June 01, 2008, 23:33:12 »
I would like to turn one of my new raised beds in to a Rhubarb bed as I  now have three plants ready to go...

• 2 x Rhubarb Champagne
  • 1 x Rhubarb Victoria

To prevent weed growth would it be ok to plant them through weed suppressant with a bark mulch over the top? I have been reading up and from what I understand need to dig in a decent amount of well rotted manure but wondered if there is anything else anyone would reccommend to give them a good start?

Many Thanks,

IsleworthTW7

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Rhubarb Bed...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 23:47:44 »
Couple of thoughts - I have a huge rhubarb bed as I love the stuff.  Once the crowns get going the rhubarb stems pop up a good distance away from the centre of the crown so you will have to make a decent-sized hole in the membrane which sort of defeats the purpose a bit.  Also they really benefit from a good thick mulch of manure in the winter, which you couldn't do unless you took the membrane off.

I find that putting the manure down in winter keeps the bed pretty weed-free and any weeds that do land are easy to remove as they are only lightly rooted in the top of the manure.  Once the rhubarb leaves open out in spring, very little can grow under the cover they provide anyway.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 00:00:56 »
Can you keep the raised bed damp enough while it gets established?? Once it is going it can draw water from a depth but in the first few weeks...  :-\

Isleworth

• Half Acre
    • http://plot31a.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 00:07:40 »
Ok thanks Ceres... Good point! Guess I could use it to start off with until they become established with them planted through a large hole with space to grow. Just want to keep the weeds down until they become established really and then I could remove it later in the year. Our soil is ripe with couch and bine weed and although all my other beds are being de-rooted and weeded I was hoping to get the Rhubarb planted asap without having to worry about diggin out this bed as well lol.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 00:09:24 by IsleworthTW7 »

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 00:28:09 »
Should be OK as a temporary measure then - better in the ground than not!  One other thing to be aware of, slugs and snails eat rhubarb.  They graze on the stems a bit but seem to prefer the leaves.  The membrane will give them a lovely hiding place, so I'd put down those new organic slug pellets, the ones that break down to iron and are harmless to other wildlife.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 01:04:41 »
Hi

I originaly planted my crowns though weed membrane for the first year till i was sure they would survive and the weeds would not take over. They were planted into the original soil level and the 6inch high bed added which gives me room to top the plant up with manure.

year 2 i cut the membrane in the middle so it was still there but it gave room for growth and i added lots of manure.

I have planted mine in a bed 2ft wide and 10ft long and planted 3 crowns and a flowering cherry which has died so i have taken a cutting of one of my plants and will be pulling the cherry tree out and replacing it will the new plant and anothr dressing of manure later in the year. Then adding a couple of sheets of wet newspaper to limit any new weeds growing.

Regarding watering its never been a problem but i have heavy clay and my site is on a downward slope and i guess it picks up a lot of water because of this. But i have always been careful to pick rhubarb so there is gaps for rain to fall into the plant and limit how the wind blows though the plant to stop its drying effects.

So IsleworthTW7  i think you will be fine depending on the placement of your bed and its size and if you dont plan on using the membrane long term just to help you get established.

good luck

cam

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 07:12:38 »
On an old not worked allotment near me is some very nice rhubarb plants and I would like some on my plot.
The crowns are huge so it would be a major job digging the whole crown up so can I divide the crown or is there likely to be smaller off shoot crowns I can dig up?
Is it too late now to replant the rhubarb?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 08:14:37 »
It's a bit late now; it's best done November-January. Doubtless it would survive, it's tough stuff. You can split it all you like as long as each bit has at least one bud. Once it gets established, it keeps the weeds down well by shading everything else.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 12:42:29 »
i pulled some rhubarb a few weeks ago and a but came out in a weird way i thought it might root and stuck it in a pot and 2 weeks later i now have a baby rhubarb. I would pull some to eat and move later in the year and if you get a funny bit try planting it.

I will take a photo pf the bit and post it so you know what to look for.

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 15:56:02 »
Thanks for your replies Robert and Cambourne.  :)
 Ill do as suggested,  pick the stalks but move it in winter.

RobC

• Not So New ...
  • Watford
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 17:25:10 »
I took a large rhubarb plant from my mother's garden a few winters ago.  It was very heavy - I could only just lift it.  I cut in two using a clean wood saw.  Didn't pick for the first year and now it is thriving. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal