Author Topic: crop rotation newbie  (Read 1184 times)

lynndave

crop rotation newbie
« on: May 29, 2008, 07:03:43 »
 hi can someone help with a crop rotation question, can i plant out brassicas now in my dwarf bean bed, or am i best waiting
until next year? I am trying to aim for a four bed rotation

I have six beds all 1 metre by 1 metre.
bed 1 has dwarf beans
bed 2 has dwarf beans
bed 3 has brussel sprouts
bed 4 has brussel sprouts
bed 5 has cauliflower
bed 6 has carrots and salad.

What can I add to the beds re: companion planting that will not affect the rotation? can I follow the dwarf beans with brassicas this year or leave until next?
Please advise. Lynn

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: crop rotation newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 09:04:51 »
hiya, lynn, welcome to the site
have you googled square foot gardening, or search on here, I'm sure there was a thread about it, they give details of what to grow in beds you have www.squarefootgardening.co.uk
is a good one, might give you some ideas, have fun  :)

silly billy

• Acre
Re: crop rotation newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 09:22:25 »
According to the rhs brassicas follow legumes (your beans) so you should be ok. Some of these can be fitted in and won't mess up your rotation plans, aubergines, chicory, courgettes, cucumbers, fennel, french beans, lettuces, marrows, peppers, pumpkins, runner beans, squashes and sweetcorn.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal