Author Topic: Melons!  (Read 1102 times)

alfie

• Not So New ...
Melons!
« on: May 15, 2008, 21:11:30 »
just wondered if i could grow my melon plant in a large pot in the greenhouse? if i keep the pot fed and watered and trail the plant along the soil border in the greenhouse to support the fruit? Havent got room to plant it anywhere else.
Would appreciate any advice :)
just call me Dottie Lottie.........

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Melons!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 21:26:50 »
one of the men on our plots did his in a grow bag in his greenhouse  last year, he only got 1 fruit but it was a bad year for them anyway

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 09:50:39 »
My dad grows one every year in the greenhouse. He plants it in big pot (about 12" diameter) filled with plain compost. It's then trailed up the side of the greenhouse, tied on to the frame. You need to water them a lot, especially when the fruits have set - i think they just get fed with tomato feed ? You need to hand pollinate too. If it goes mad and sets lots of fruit, remove some, 4 or 5 on the plant is OK. Finally you will need to support the fruits as the grow, old spud bags work well - just tie the bag to somthing solid, then hang the fruit in it..
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 17:22:48 »
Yep=a large pot will be fine. Depending on variety don`t expect huge ones-but the taste and aroma of a home grown melon is something special

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 17:26:04 »
I grow them and usually on a mound of muck through black plastic, letting the fruits trail not on the ground but raised off it a little on some mesh.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 18:00:40 »
I keep the mesh nets off oranges etc all winter and use them to support the melons  ;D

peasmad

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 19:24:50 »
Believe it or not, the best supports i have found to hold the fruits is old Bra's. They stretch as the fruit grows. I get the missus to go into charity shops for me.

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 19:28:52 »
lol thats why theyre called melon holders then.... ahhhhhh! ;D
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

alfie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 16:53:17 »
Fantastic advice thanks guys! will dig out old bra! Then my friends will definately have a reason to call me Helen melons!! :D
just call me Dottie Lottie.........

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal