Author Topic: Milk carton tips required!  (Read 4330 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Milk carton tips required!
« on: May 27, 2008, 20:49:47 »
Sorry this is a question rather than a tip! But our milkman of many years is retiring at the end of this week and has not found anyone to buy his round, so we are going to be forced to increase our carbon footprint by buying milk in those horrible plastic bottles for the first time in 30 years! Obviously I can stick them in the recycling bin but I'd rather re-use them, so which size would you say is most useful for re-use, given that we only use about a pint a day.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Milk carton tips required!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 20:54:36 »
we use them for labels,ant size
compost scoops(4 pint size)
when we've cut the top up for labels(either 2,4 or 6 pints), the remainder does for filling up toilet rolls, trouble is, we use about 3 pints per day and only need so many labels, etc  ;D

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 20:57:19 »
2 pint or 4 pint.  I use them as individual cloches - cut the botttom out and a bit off the top.  Great for keeping birds off young seedlings and for seeds like peas that mice like.  Also use them to keep rats off sweetcorn cobs.  Fill them with water and use them to weigh down nets, fleece, membrane etc.  Storing comfrey/nettle/worm tea.  Stuck on top of canes, poles to protect eyes.

And you can freeze milk in plastic bottles so you never need run out again!  

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 05:51:46 »
Hi Caroline, Hi all :)

I have thought about using them for storing Blood, fish and bone & Growmore which I buy in cardboard boxes that sometime go damp in my shed, or the mix of these that I usually use.

I`m also planning on growing huge amounts of beans for drying and will probably use them for bulk storage. I am a little concerned that they will smell milky. Yuk !

I think that as containers for long term storage they have a lot of potential - they are light, easy to handle and stack, they seal and reseal reliably. They are also free and easy to obtain.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 09:44:46 »
forgot about that, ceres, we store all our feed (that comes in cardboard cartons or loose ) in 6 pint milk containers, plus the nettle and comfrey feed  ::)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 07:20:34 »

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 10:15:41 »
Let's hope so, Ace. Anyway, i'm feeling less bad about it now I know I can easily re-use them all!
Must say I was expecting a post from JRP on this one! ;D

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 17:49:33 »
lol, I too so expected to see a post off JRP here too  ;D

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 18:02:19 »
Give him time  :)
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 18:42:19 »
Around here you can get goatsmilk on the cardboard cartons Ace refers to, and it comes in semi skimmed too(See St Helens Farm brand).  I find it more digestible than cows milk and my son hasn't had exzema since having it.  And it may have a lower carbon footprint?  Not sure but cows are supposed to be the worst for carbon footprints before you get to the cartons even.

It is expensive (relatively) though - a good reason to try to use less of it!  Apparently dairy cattle produce more methane than beef cattle (!)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 21:36:35 »
same here, pippy, Ray has cow's, I get goat's, shame we can't get the cow's in cardboard  ;D

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 22:24:27 »
The 6 pint ones are good for making comfrey liquid, stuffing in the comfrey takes some time though, but the results are good
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 16:28:51 »
I wee in mine and pour in the dalek compost bin, top that JRP.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

DolphinGarden

• Acre
  • skip skavenger
    • Facility of the Month, Warrington Cycle Camaign
Milk carton tips required!
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 21:12:27 »
Deffo 4 pint, or 2L as they are here.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 22:20:44 »
I too was waiting for a reply from JRP. I tried his method of two tier growning of my Lettuce on a frame last year, yes they grw but don;t feel the need to do it again it was so faffy!!! Didn't look very nice either.
Cut the bottoms off and poke a few drainage holes in and use them as plantpots. Tops can be used as scoops, as said before or funnels. I have a bin full of nettle tea and I use old cartons to store the stuff, adding one to my watering can to feed the plants. A sam;ll milk carton can be filled with water and placed in your toilet cistern too to save water, the tank does not use so much to fill it then. there must be hundreds of uses.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 22:25:41 »
they are collecting the green lids from the 4 pint milk cartons at work for charity sure lots of people collect them for some charity  ;D

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 19:03:04 »
Our site has no water so every time I go there I take the biggest milk containers full of water, even if it's raining. I keep a great stack of them up there, and bring them back when they're all empty. Some of them are 10 years old.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal