Author Topic: Dealing with dog-aggro  (Read 3769 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Dealing with dog-aggro
« on: January 02, 2008, 20:33:17 »
OK! There you are, going on your own private walk-about and this unattended animal with a slavering barking mouth decides it wants to use you as a plaything (in an aggressive manner)....what should or would you do?
 Attack it? Scream? Stand still? Climb the nearest tree?
What's the best defence in such a situation?

What would you do?

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
Re: Dealing with dog-aggro
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 20:45:16 »
Dog treats in your pocket! or if you're feeling flush you can get yourself one of these!  ::)  ;)

Rob the rake

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 21:15:35 »
Lie on your back with arms and legs in the air, the dog recognises this as a submissive gesture and will then leave you alone.

Mind you, you're screwed if the dog hasn't read the rules. :o

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 23:37:08 »
Lie on your back with arms and legs in the air, the dog recognises this as a submissive gesture and will then leave you alone.

If you do this... just hope it does not think you are in season ;D ;D ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Rob the rake

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 01:51:30 »

If you do this... just hope it does not think you are in season ;D ;D ;D

Then you'd be really screwed :o :o :o

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 02:00:04 »
i m terrified of dogs and i hate it when they come running jumping and barking at me if that happens i panic i know youre not supposed to i know they can smell my fear but i cant help it (there are a few dogs i am ok with cos i know them) why people let them do it is beyond me, loads of people have severe phobias of birds, when they visit my house do i let my parrot fly around terrorising them no i keep him safely locked away you try asking someone to do that with their dog all they say is hes lovely he wont hurt hes only playing
yeah right  :o ::) :'(

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 09:04:48 »
kenkew I don't know the answer to your question, will be interesting to know if we have any dog trainers on the site and what they would suggest.
Like debster I am terrified of other peoples dog. We have had dogs all my life, labradors, german shepherds and now a little pest KC Cavalier and I have loved them all. I didn't go inside my son's house for 6 years but when Charlie died we all went there for Christmas dinner, Shelby was put in another room but when John brought her through the dining room I just said "See what she does" she  just wagged her tail and we are now friends :) Whwen I go there now she barks at me but as soon as John tells her to be quiet I am OK.

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 19:19:30 »
stand still with arms crossed across your chest is the best soloution.
other than that have a go at the owner to keep it on its lead, it shouldnt be let of if it shows this kind of aggresion.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 10:04:18 »
I'm afraid I give as good as I get Ken.   We have had a couple of dogs like that around our way who charge at me when I am out walking my dog.  I usually turn and face it, point at it and shout something like 'no' or 'away' and hope that it recognises these commands.  It usually works for me but of course not all dogs have been trained to understand this so it just depends on whether you have the nerve to try it :-\ ;D
Happy gardening all...........Pat

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 17:07:45 »
With running a pack of dogs i find that a loud tshhhhk ! and hand clap makes them stop in there tracks, if you are very worried get a coke can, put a few pebbles inside and tape the hole up, when you are approached throw the can on the floor HARD ! this will make 90% of dogs stop !
Or get a staffie as head of your pack who would tear other dogs to bits and ask questions later  ;D (saying that my dogs run free on walks but one word and the whole lot come back to my side and drop down ! )
Its shear bad training and stupidity that anyone who can not control their dogs should have them off lead !!!!!

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 00:49:31 »
The coke can with pebbles works, but maybe carry a couple of them in case. Also dont give eye contact if possible....not easy as you need to know were the danger is.
If you are in the habit of carrying a plastic bottle of water, the type with the 'sucky' top. A good squirt with that can put off an attack too.

My FIL used to say, "Catch the b*gg*r and rub english mustard on his b*lls"

Yeah right! What if its a girl, and HOW do you catch a mad dog without getting bitten :-\
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 08:58:50 »
Hi all,
          Buy yourself a dog dazer, this is a small pocket size piece of kit (about the size of a wind up torch) that emits a high frequency sound that makes dogs back off. I always carry one when out walking & I have had to use it a couple of times & it definitely works. Unfortunately they are not cheap , about £40 ??? But what price piece of mind?
                                       Adrian.

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 07:39:36 »
stand still,,,,,,,,,,,take careful aim.............FIRE!
repeat actions  for stupid irrisponsable owner!

mind you.i dont have to carry the shotgun................my dog loves people but HATES other dogs..if they become a problem i just unleash the beast...........lol

amazing the change in the owners reaction when their precious dog is running for the hills with 18 inch of frenzied terrier attached to there dogs nether regions.

oggiesnr

• Not So New ...
    • namejigsaws.com
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 23:49:45 »
Ignore it.

If it goes for my dogs, that's a different matter.  Had a case of a bull-terrier which had my collie pinned to the floor.  "It's only playing" said owner "No, my dog's terrified, call it off" said I.  "It's only playing" "No it's not and I'm wearing safety boots, you've three seconds" "|@??@ off" "one, two.." He pulled it off.

Same dog later attacked a kid.

Steve

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 14:26:28 »
I've had two occurances in the wood. Two G.Shepherd dogs came running at my 3 month old border collie. One was snarling and showing lots of teeth. As it ran past me and at my pup, I grabbed it by the scruff and the tail and using it's own momentum threw it sideways. It rolled a bit and I picked up my pup and a stick!
The owner came running up, leashed his other dog and ran off calling for the nasty one. Fortunatly it followed him. He didn't say a word to me and I've not seen them since.
The second time was a large 'mixed' breed. I was sat on a bench in the wood whittling a bit of stick when it ran at me snarling and bearing it's teeth inches from me. The fact it didn't actually bite right away was a relief. The owner sauntered up and said 'He's just being friendly'. I said that's ok then, because if it had attacked it would now be dead...I held up my very, very sharp whittling knife!

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 02:41:21 »
Some dog owners are totally beyond me....what must they be thinking?

A friendly greeting from a dog is a snarl and baring teeth?? Words fail me Ken......your doing very well to keep your cool ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Dougie1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 23:15:02 »
i havnt read all the comments, but heres my advice.

half fill a plastic bottle with stones (small bottle) then every time his behavior gets a little un toward, throw down the bottle as hard as you can and shout  "NO"!, in my opinion three times should nip that problem in the bud

good luck ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal