Author Topic: Sorrel seeds  (Read 2398 times)

alipally

• Quarter Acre
Sorrel seeds
« on: January 10, 2008, 23:54:52 »
I have seen quite a few recipes lately that use garden sorrel, I like the idea of a perenial that I can use for salads and for cooking.  I have tried to find some seeds but without success, does anyone know where I can get some please.
Thanks muchly,

chrispea27

• Acre
Re: Sorrel seeds
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 07:09:35 »
sorry not sure about seeds but have grown them and they are easy peasy and am still getting some from last years sowing.
I have them under cloches.
Chris Pea

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 07:09:48 »
Hi

I am sure i have some, pm me your details and if i can find them i will post them on :)

Sorel is yummy i have 3 plants on the go and usualy grab a bit most times i past and much on the lotty.

Cambourne7

debjay

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 07:17:29 »

valentinelow

• Quarter Acre
    • 'One Man And His Dig' blog
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 08:11:16 »
Am I the only person in the world who can't grow sorrel? I have tried sowing some for the last couple of years - never saw a thing. Anyone else have germination problems? Or have a suggestion as to what I am doing wrong? I give the sorrel the same sophisticated treatment I give my other seeds - just bung 'em in the ground and hope. It usually works...

Rob08

• Acre
    • One Voice in Cyberspace
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 08:49:22 »
Am I the only person in the world who can't grow sorrel? I have tried sowing some for the last couple of years - never saw a thing. Anyone else have germination problems? Or have a suggestion as to what I am doing wrong? I give the sorrel the same sophisticated treatment I give my other seeds - just bung 'em in the ground and hope. It usually works...

As sorrel is a wild plant your sowing method should work just fine.  Are you perhaps planting the seeds a bit too deep? 

You might try a pre-sprouting method (as described by Amishland) and germinate the seeds on some damp tissue paper and as soon as you can see it has germinated plant it very gently in warm soil? 

elsie

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 09:35:46 »
Hi, I have some sorrel seeds you can have  :)

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 09:46:35 »
Hi Elsie if alipally is fixed up I would luv to try some of your sorrel seeds- don't worry if they are spoken for- will pm my address just in case. many thanks

elsie

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 09:52:36 »
Should be able to send you a pinch as well  :)

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 10:13:57 »
Thanks Elsie thats brightened my day :) :)

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 17:19:11 »
moles seeds offer a lovely red veined variety that is also delicious, raw or cooked and looks very pretty in salads

http://www.molesseeds.co.uk

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 19:43:53 »
The red veined sorrel is available in various catalogues. I grew it last year and am very impressed with it. I put a cloche over it in early Winter and it is still in good condition. Easy to grow from seed.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 23:54:11 »
Even better from root cuttings... the "French" or buckler leaf is best for salads and the broad leaf for soups and large scale cooking. Deb P grew the red veined but it wasn't as sharp and tasty as either my HDRA Sacheval (?) or the french..
 ;D

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 12:35:56 »
The red veined sorrel is available in various catalogues. I grew it last year and am very impressed with it. I put a cloche over it in early Winter and it is still in good condition. Easy to grow from seed.

could you pass on some other outlets as they might be cheaper  :)

alipally

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 14:36:16 »
Thanks all you kind people.  I have PMd Cambourne7 (I think, not too au fait with the PM side of this yet) so hopefully I should be sorted, but thanks for the offer Elsie. 
Much appreciated
Alison

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal