Author Topic: courgettes  (Read 1869 times)

charlie888

• Not So New ...
courgettes
« on: June 16, 2009, 10:13:21 »
In a moment of sheer stupidity I seem to have planted my courgettes out in a planter that I hadn't drilled holes in the bottom of yet, I only notice my error yesterday when I realised the torrential rain of yesterdays storm wasn't draining away.  My question is is there any point in attempting to replant them now (they are still quite small) or would the shock just kill them? and is there any point in starting anymore from seed at this late stage?

thanks for any help!

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Re: courgettes
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 10:18:00 »
You've nothing to lose by replanting them and/or trying more seed.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 10:47:15 »
replanting shouldn't be a problem if they are under 5/6 full leaves, though they will hang back for a week or two.

Seeds can still go in and can do up to the end of the month in the south, sometimes even into July
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

charlie888

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 10:57:22 »
Excellent, thanks for the help, I shall attempt to replant the ones I've waterlogged and stick a few spare seeds in pots just in case.

FennelandFern

• Half Acre
    • Fennel & Fern
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 11:00:37 »
Just be careful not to disturb the roots too much...otherwise, they shouldn't stay grumpy about it for long...
www.fennelandfern.co.uk

Have a look at the Good Growing Guide - free downloadable gardening advice: www.fennelandfern.co.uk/grow

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 21:07:12 »
Try tipping the planter on its side for a while to drain the water out.

amphibian

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 21:35:32 »
Can you not tip the pot at an angle and put a hole in the bottom now?

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 21:52:48 »
If you are going to tip it on its side then you may as well drill some hole in the bottom and stand it back up, leave it to see how it develops.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 09:23:45 »
I personally would just drill a few holes in the sides at the bottom right on the bottom edge like a lot of planters have instead of holes in the base.
I did this recently with a similar situation (not courgettes) and has worked well.

Last year I had a disaster where my beetroot in a container got flooded by water from the gutter overflowing and although very sorry for themselves for a week went on to make a good crop in the end.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

charlie888

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 12:29:28 »
I just wanted to post a quick thank you for all the advice, I drilled holes in the side of the planter and tipped it (very carefully!) to drain off the water and then left them to it... they sulked for a while but I went out this morning to discover my first courgette so disaster diverted!  In the meantime I planted a spare plant that is also going great guns now so i'll be no doubt checking out the courgette glut posts sometime soon!

thanks for all the help  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal