Author Topic: pumpkin seeds  (Read 1489 times)

valentinelow

• Quarter Acre
    • 'One Man And His Dig' blog
pumpkin seeds
« on: November 02, 2007, 09:02:51 »
The other day we roasted the seeds from our giant pumpkin (Hundredweight) with some salt, celery salt and paprika, and they were delicious. This was a pleasant surprise after our efforts last year, when we roasted the seeds from our squash (Red Kuri) and they were disgusting.
What I am trying to work out is: is it our technique that made the difference, or the seeds themselves? I cannot remember exactly what we did last year, and so don't know how much the technique/recipe varied. Was I wrong in assuming that all squash seeds roast well?

Squashmad

• Half Acre
Re: pumpkin seeds
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 10:31:54 »
I'd like to try this myself - did you have to shell the pumpkin seeds first?

valentinelow

• Quarter Acre
    • 'One Man And His Dig' blog
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 12:54:37 »
No, didn't shell them. Just wiped most of the gunk off (no need to rinse - in fact some people say it is a positively bad idea to rinse as you lose some of the flavour), mixed them up with a bit of melted butter, sprinkled with some spices (we used salt, celery salt and smoked paprika, which worked well but it is up to you: cumin might be nice) and then spread them out on a baking tray, taking care to make sure they were in a single layer. Moderate oven for (very roughly) a quarter of an hour: the timing is very much up to you and your oven, but I think you want the seeds lightly toasted. Again, that is a matter of taste: some people might prefer them well done.

Squashmad

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 13:22:07 »
Thanks for that - I'll give it a whirl - sounds nice and easy!!

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 08:30:42 »
Tried a variety of these yesterday to use up some of last year's seeds left in a jar!  They were delicious - can't wait to cut open this year's parsnips just for the seeds now! 

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 09:28:48 »
Errr, did you mean pumpkins not parsnips........you wouldn't find many seeds inside them! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 09:53:18 »
Duuuuurrrr  :-[ , course I meant pumpkins!!  Well done for noticing!  Subconsciously I was obviously thinking about where I'm going to get my parsnip seeds from for next year!

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 21:31:17 »
For what it's worth, I always do mine in a dry frying pan, so technically I don't suppose they're roasted, but it's very quick and it's easier to test your level of doneness. I haven't come across any that are particularly disgusting yet.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal