Author Topic: My onions aren't storing well, whats wrong?  (Read 2004 times)

Hazelb

• Half Acre
My onions aren't storing well, whats wrong?
« on: September 09, 2007, 18:08:49 »
I had to lift my onions early because of the poor weather. I have been drying them in the greenhouse for about a month and a half. The odd one has rotted and been thrown away.

A lot of the remaining onions still seem to have very soft stems near the base of the onions, is this normal? Will they just not keep well this year, or should I persever?

silverbirch

• Acre
  • My body is a temple - but so is the acropolis.
Re: My onions aren't storing well, whats wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 18:10:33 »
I think it's the year.  There seems to have been lots of trouble with all the Alliums.  All my garlics have already gone soft, and are sprouting moulds.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 18:17:05 »
Most of the tops of mine were all rotten black, but I cut them off and they are doing OK.

I have stored them in the greenhouse, on the floor in seed trays, so they get plenty of air to dry them out properly.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 18:23:46 »
Hazel,
How early did you lift them? Did you have a week after lifting to upend in good sun?
Drying in the greenhouse should have worked unless humidity built up?
Sounds like they are immature, leave them in the greenhouse awhile longer but you might lose more I'm afraid.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

sand

• Half Acre
  • North North Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 20:02:08 »
A lot of our shallots are mouldy too.  Very upsetting after getting such a good yield.  Most of the onions are holding their own in the shed at the moment, fingers crossed.

The garlic has been fantastic though, dried and braided and hanging in a sunny(!) corner in the conservatory.  Saw braids of garlic at Ludlow food fair yesterday and calculated that we have £100 worth of garlic hanging there.  Not bad for a few bulbs bought in France in February. 

It's been a strange one this year.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 20:14:04 »
I had a good feel at my onions this morning and there are quite a few that are still quite soft at the neck.

I will give them a while longer and if they are still the same,those with soft necks will be cut up and if they are ok,they will be frozen.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 22:20:07 »
My onions have been lifted about 6-7 weeks now. All are strung up in bundles of 7-8. All are still fine in the shed at the moment. Some smaller ones I left in trays as the stalks had shrunk so much have gone soft, but those hanging have no problems at all.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

green sleeves

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 23:07:07 »
I lifted mine about 5 weeks ago because of the wet weather and storm damage but was wondering how you plat them . I have them drying on trays in the shed but as this is my first crop I dint know how to best store them , any advice welcome. I lifted them because they were all bent over and going yellow after a big storm, I had lost most of my garlic due to rot during the wet weather and didn't want to take the risk with the onions. Have been using them and am very happy with results  but didnot want them to rot and need the drying space?
Hello world
Green sleeves or green hair , it depends on the direction of the wipe. Dont fear untill you have to shake hands.
Aiden

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 23:25:46 »
I lifted mine about 5 weeks ago because of the wet weather and storm damage but was wondering how you plat them .

Got this link off Grotbag in a previous post:

http://www.powen.freeserve.co.uk/Guides/stringonions.htm
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal