Author Topic: Dymo label maker- which one?  (Read 1342 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Dymo label maker- which one?
« on: August 12, 2007, 16:56:12 »
Started looking for one of these on ebay, but not sure which model would be best for plant labels. Can anyone give me a recommendation?

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: Dymo label maker- which one?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 21:56:09 »
I bought a Brother P-Touch 1000 at Lidl last Spring and have been very happy with it. It cost a tenner (half the price it is sold anywhere else, so worth waiting for it to come round again at Lidl).

The replacement tapes are expensive - I bought mine on E-Bay where you can get good deals. Of course, you will use a lot of tape in the first year. After that you will only need to make tapes for seeds you are using for the first time.  I use the tapes on the regular plastic markers and on the larger T-shaped ones too. They have cleaned up well and will be of use for at least a couple of years more I would think.

HTH

Tricia

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 07:35:36 »
It is not the labeller, it is the tape that is crucial. paper, plastic, or 'metal'. Some fade faster than others. If it is just for pots and seedtrays and is short term, the paper is alright. But outside they suggest 'metal' which is the coating on the tape. The tape is expensive but you can pick up some bargains on the internet.

If you can find the old fashioned embossed kit, it is the best. The modern dymos print the name.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 07:40:17 »
I have the p touch too and plastic labels... the plastic has discoloured in teh sun but the printing has stayed perfect. Would highly recommend as its cheap and easy to use.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 10:44:25 »
It is not the labeller, it is the tape that is crucial. paper, plastic, or 'metal'. Some fade faster than others. If it is just for pots and seedtrays and is short term, the paper is alright. But outside they suggest 'metal' which is the coating on the tape. The tape is expensive but you can pick up some bargains on the internet.

If you can find the old fashioned embossed kit, it is the best. The modern dymos print the name.

I have mastered! the art of writing backwards. I use aluminium drinks cans. A member of A4A, though haven't seen him online recently, sells aluminium sheets for making labels (as well as other garden sundries), as well as the instructions for what to do with drinks cans (well worth £1).
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 18:56:32 »
Thanks for those replies- will have a look around the net.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 18:33:25 »
Just my 2p's worth!!  ;)

I have the Dymo Junior which embosses DO NOT order direct from Dymo I waited 2 months, oh how I nagged them!!!! go to WH Smiths!!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 18:35:17 by Biscombe »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal