Author Topic: Raspberries  (Read 1224 times)

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
Raspberries
« on: June 24, 2007, 14:09:21 »
I was given some 'autumn' raspberries at the back end of last year but they have already started to fruit - do they go through the summer ?  I hadn't expected any until, well, autumn.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Raspberries
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 14:39:57 »
I also picked fruit from my autumn rasps this week, while the summer ones are no where near ready! I'm guessing it's the weird weather again, and that they will finish earlier than usual.

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 14:47:11 »
Methinks it was April and its heat that did it, as some of mine have fruit on - ahead even of the Polka.
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 14:50:26 »
Yes, we're picking autumn rasps.  We're getting a lot of the Glen Magna, summer ones, the John J autumn ones are producing quite a few and loads more to come.  The Tulameen (summer) are absolutely covered in fruit, but only a couple rip ones. Methinks we'll be picking well into December at this rate.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 15:15:20 »
I always have a few 'autumn' raspberries producing fruit in the early summer, but they carry on until late into the autumn, weather permitting.

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 15:17:29 »
Have just come back with another load of summer ones, thankfully the autumn ones are a long way off.  They seem much bigger this year - the rain I suppos - but not as sweet.

Stan0406

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 17:59:22 »
I have also been pciking autumn raspberries - they were new canes, so I thought it was to do with that.  I thought they may have just been out of sinc due to their 1st year..... obviously not.  Would be nice to think that they will continue to fruit for a few more months!

Rohaise

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 21:50:44 »
 My raspberries now second year ,are still pathetic.  No higher than six inches or so at the most !   :-\   What on earth has stunted them so much ?       So I think next Autumn I will dig them all up and create a new area for them.   Do they need lots of feeding ,manure and all that ?  Idid put a whole sack of well rotted manure in the trench before I planted them . Rohaise .

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 22:34:41 »
I notice old Jacks autumn rasps are fruiting, but my lottie neighbours gold rasps aren't even in flower. 

Rohaise - Rasberries are shallow rooting, wo be careful when hoeing around them, and are woodland plants prefering light dappled shade.  Too much feed will encourage lashings of floppy stems and leafy growth.  Planting too deeply could also do them in.  Mine are left to scramble at the edge of my apple trees and this year, thanks to the rain, I am picking huge raspberries 2inches long, fat, juicy and packed with flavour.  The only feed mine have received was a sprinkling of pelleted chicken manure at the start of the year.  Once fruiting has finished, all the fruiting canes will be chopped right down to ground level, along with any damaged new stems.  The rest are left to scramble away ready for next year.  Mine are Glen Ample, and I would heartily recommend them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal