Author Topic: Wasps nest in bird box  (Read 2462 times)

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
Wasps nest in bird box
« on: June 13, 2007, 21:59:18 »
Last year we put up a new bird box for sparrows, as sparrows like to nest alongisde each other, its got three compartments.

It made me laugh to see blue tits nest in the end section, but now ive got a nests wasp in the opposite section, leaving the middle compartment empty.

Obviously its worrying that ive got a wasps nest in the first place, (we had one last year in the shed and dealt with it easily but of course we have more to consider this time) but i am also worried for the family of blue tits that are inches away and basically sharing the same home.

I need to get rid of the nest without scaring, frightening or disturbing the tits. 
We wondered if there was any type of safe powders that we could perhaps use that would be of no harm to the tits?

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: Wasps nest in bird box
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 22:34:16 »
I would say that if the nest is where you aren't going to disturb it too much (I doubt the birds will be winding the wasps up much) then leave it be.  Until the Autumn (and then only if you have Autumn ripening fruit) the wasps will do nothing but good on your plot - it's down to whether you can live with them or not, and if I am not going to be disturbing them, then I can live with them.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Si

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 06:09:35 »
Several wasp species are becoming very endangered, more so than bees. I'd try to leave them on the grounds of conservation.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 08:24:58 »
They do a lot of good as they're predators, and very little harm. I'd leave them; I've shared the allotment shed with wasps a couple of times, always have several nests around the plot, and never get stung.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 10:41:03 »
Our Blue tits have fledged and left the nest box. If you need to remove the wasps nest to clean the boxes out as one is supposed to, then the spray in stuff is very good. Use it at dusk when the wasps are asleep to avoid being stung. They may well be useful predators, but when the nest is right next to a usually open window I prefer safety to conservation!
Gardening is the great leveller.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 18:25:05 »
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Eric our tits were late nesting, so they are still very busy with their young so far.

Hopefully all will resolve itself and maybe they 'can' actually live side by side with no danger to the tits? :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal