Author Topic: are waiting lists that bad now? (Guardian today)  (Read 12019 times)

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
Re: are waiting lists that bad now? (Guardian today)
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2007, 16:21:49 »
One other point I should make - Whilst reading this thread I noticed from a few of the posts a certian cynicism about people getting plots because they are suddenly 'fashoinable'.  Bear in mind that a lot of people who are getting plots now have been on the list for a long time - certainly since before the days that Simon Mayo first graced our screens with his nice jolly face!
Being a young(ish) guy, I would hate to think that when I do finally get a plot I will have to work as hard at proving my dedication and worth, as I may have to at preparing the soil!
Just a comment - and not a dig (hehe) at anyone in particular.

hear hear!
I was on the waiting list for 18 months before I got offered a plot (and now I have the biggest plot on the site ;D) but I do sometimes feel that some of the old boys are just waiting for me to give up so that they can be proved right.

amphibian

Re: are waiting lists that bad now? (Guardian today)
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2007, 16:32:18 »
I have just vacated an allotment in Tunbridge Wells, and am now on the waiting list in Maidstone.

In Tunbridge Wells there is the much sought after Hawkenbury Allotments, run by the Hawkenbury Allotment Holders Assossiation, I had sat on their list for a year when they phoned to offer me one, annoyingly just after I had left the area.

The allotment I had was at Holly Farm, a beautiful site, which was very underused just a few years ago, but is now full; I believe. This site is council run, but suffers horrendously with deer and theft, last year my entire pumpkin crop was half inched. The council seem very uninterested and to be honest my dealings with them have been very poor; council workers destroyed my plot while 'strimming', council gave my plot away to another lady who preceded to glyphos the lot...

There are dozens of other allotment sites scattered about Tunbridge Wells, the council list them here.
 The ones nearer the Sherwood end of town, suffer a little from vandalism.

If you can get one at the association run Hawkenbury site, then do. HAHA are great they have a shop, a massive veg show and all sorts, the site has an electric fence to keep rabbits and deer out and is not infested with perennial weeds. If their list is long, grab a small patch at another site, but be prepared to move.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal