Author Topic: Gooseberry and Mildew??  (Read 4139 times)

miniroots

• Half Acre
  • Beautiful bolting
    • Random allotment pictures
Gooseberry and Mildew??
« on: April 26, 2007, 19:24:59 »
Oh no!
I was just looking over my gooseberry bush today, and marvelling at the size of the fruit swelling on it... when I suddenly noticed that mildew (I'm assuming that's what it is) is taking hold on half of the bush...

I had a small mildew problem last year, but it was much later, just effecting some of the fruit just about as it was ready to harvest.  But this year it is much earlier, effecting foliage and fruit and if it spreads it will effect the whole crop by the time it is ready to harvest...

I did some damage limitation by removing as much effected fruit and foliage as I could see - but I think that is unlikely to stop it...

What should I do???   :'(

Cheshunt compound?

Help please
Sophie

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Gooseberry and Mildew??
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 20:13:35 »
I don't grow gooseberries but if it is mildew then spraying with a mixture of 9 parts water to 1 part full cream milk should do the trick.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 21:42:15 »
      I use PBI,Dithane 945. I start spraying the first of April then the first of each month until I pick the fruit. Read the instructions and follow dosage on the packet for Mildew. Do not pick the fruit for seven days after spraying.
    When pruning in the winter, cut off the lowest branches. The spores stay in the soil and when it rains in the spring the rain splashes the spores up onto the new growth.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 22:53:03 »
I'd put another variety in.
Some gooseberries seem to be far more prone to mildew than others, and I'd recommend Invicta as being one that hardly ever gets mildew. You also need to prune out any central branches, to keep the bush open and ecourage a good airflow.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 23:20:46 »
I'd agree... I finally had to give up with my fav Whinham's Industry as it got more and more Mildew...
 :(

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 18:56:18 »
We have used a washing soda and soft soap mix for donkeys years. It is effective.

If you want the recipe then go to our web pages, click on garden recipes and scroll down to "fungicide made with washing soda and soft soap".

miniroots

• Half Acre
  • Beautiful bolting
    • Random allotment pictures
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 19:25:00 »
thanks for the replies -
Didn't get the info until just now because of the site being down -
I found some other advice about using Bicarb of Soda solution - so I have gone and sprayed with that this afternoon... Should I try something else as well??

??

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 12:20:32 »
I think neem also works, I tried milk and water last year, worked for a while then it took hold again, going to try neem this year

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 19:41:45 »
Bicarb of soda will do the job as far as I can see. However, you do not say what the recipe for the solution is. In essence you need something that will allow the solution to adhere to the gooseberry to provide a physical barrier for  circa 3 weeks (when you should repeat the treatment). This is the point of the soft soap in my recipe.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal