Author Topic: Pond on my Allotment  (Read 8525 times)

dgillings

• Quarter Acre
  • Harry with his favourite chocolate friend.
    • The Organic Allotment
Pond on my Allotment
« on: October 11, 2006, 18:30:55 »
I've just inherited an allotment after a years patient wait... What I'm wondering is:

Is it worth making a small area of my allotment for a pond/wildlife sanctuary to encourage the "right types" of wildlife? I think I could easily sort out some solar panels to filter/pump water if required etc...

I've not received my contract yet from the council with regards to what I can and can't do - I know I'm not allowed "structures" (sheds and the like :() but I don't know if I would be allowed a pond - I can't see why not though...

anyone?
Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.  ~Author Unknown

The Organic Allotment
http://theorganicallotment.blogspot.com/

plimsoll plot2

• Quarter Acre
  • Where my heart is
Re: Pond on my Allotment
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 18:37:33 »
i have a little pond on my plot i love it, i cant belive your not ALLOWED A SHED WE HAVE SHEDS ,greenhouses & PLOY TUNNELS ON OUR ALLOTOMENT EVEN PONDS.

were my heart is down at the plot

KMARKSnr

• Quarter Acre
  • I`m not "young enough" to know everything !
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 19:32:00 »
Hi dgill,- all,
       I would def` put a greenhouse on the plot,and definately put a pond on sight,but no deeper than 18",and beaches all round for any wildlife to escape the pond with ease should it want to.

Regards,
                           Mark.
i`m not "young enough" to know everything !

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 21:42:44 »
we're not supposed to have ponds, but quite a few plots have them, especially now that so many people are trying to go organic - they are a definite asset.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 16:13:46 »
We're not allowed ponds on our allotments.....safety risk to children who are probably more likely to fall into the water troughs than a pond. However some people have put them in anyway. I plan to dig a small pond but put lots of large stones in it so I can grow some water plants and wildlife can get to the water but no one could fall in.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 15:30:11 »
Hi Dgill

I also can't believe u don't have a shed, check thou sometimes u just need permission from council, i cant imagine not having one mines full to the brim.I intend to have a very small pond I'm just going to dig  a hole  and put a small washing up bowl in the hole and have a few rocks  around it.The frogs it attracts are good 4 getting rid of slugs so i am told, but there maybe a H/S issue with kids present so check first. I am on the end plot  so no one will go near or see mine its 4 practical reasons not 4 show.
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 15:47:08 »
How strange no sheds, we have as well as greenhouses plastic covered ones I have to redo my pond think container has a leak but great for frogs and birds to have  a drink our little robin loves it hes always supervisiong me wish he could use a fork. hee hee.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 15:57:05 »
We're not allowed polytunnels, the sheds have all got to be identical size and painted dark green or brown and greenhouses have to be approved by the committee and are very standardised (but I think they do have a discount deal), but....we are allowed small ponds :)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 17:14:52 »
If you do have a small pond and usea liner watch out for the crows and magpies when the frogspawn is about cos when I had mine they punctured the liner in their quest to spike a tadpole. If I have another I will put a good depth of gravel round the edges and hope they don't go down that far
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Mary Helen

• I love Allotments4All
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 09:00:05 »
It may seem like I'm being a wet blanket but, as the person who holds the waiting list - and allocates the plots on our site - I am in complete agreement with the ban on ponds.
It is a great idea while the plotholder is full of enthusiasm, but if they lose that and maybe cannot keep it well cared for, it may be someone else who ends up having to get rid of it.
People who decide to give up their plots very often leave them in an overgrown state, and I have discovered 'organic - natural' hidden ponds while I was showing a prospective new plotholder round. How did I discover it? Quite literally, I ended up stepping in it up to my knees when the weeds gave way under my feet. It was quite a shock and the new tenant wasn't too keen on having to get rid of the water, and the fish, and the slimy liner before they could start digging.
I make new tenants get written permission from the council first.
You may not have room to grow veggies in your back garden (if you have one) but you probably have room for a pond - or a child safe water feature.

TTFN  Lesley

dgillings

• Quarter Acre
  • Harry with his favourite chocolate friend.
    • The Organic Allotment
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 10:11:02 »
I do indeed have space for a pond in the back garden - and I have one. BUT the reason for one in the allotment if for the beneficial creatures it brings with it. All the frogs that love the slugs in the lottie need somewhere nice to hang out on a hot summers day.

I think that on my plot, as it is planned, the pond is never likely to get "overgrown" by weeds. I have a system of rasied, wooden edged deepbeds with weed membraine EVERYWHERE and good bark chipping pathing. The chances of this getting overgrown anywhere I don't want it too are VERY unlikely.

I agree though with the idea of written approval from a commitee or council group is a good idea - if not only so that the person who passes the allotments out has a record of the ponds on the off-chance that it is overgrown ;)

Thanks for your comments ;)

Daniel
Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.  ~Author Unknown

The Organic Allotment
http://theorganicallotment.blogspot.com/

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 16:06:40 »
we've got a very wet part of the plot we're in the process of turning in to a pond, for all the reasons you've said, frogs, birds, frogspawn and making use of a piece of land that nothing will grow on  ;D again, though, we have very raised beds, good paths and ours couldn't get overgrown if it tried  :)

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 11:15:23 »
If you can get permission then go ahead and  build a wildlife pond, it would be most beneficial.

I too cannot believe that you are not allowed a shed at your allottment! Where on earth are you supposed to keep your tools? Bit of a chore having to drag them down to the site each time!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 11:26:43 »
How about a barrel pond?

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 16:40:57 »
My pond will be made out of one of the 'tub trugs' so I can easily remove it if I give up my allotment.

chuff

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 12:58:02 »
I have a little pond and lawn on my allotment, I get great pleasure just sitting on me lawn watching the water, I even dangle me feet in on the long hot summer days to keep them cool ;D ;D ;D

BoardStupid

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 17:50:16 »
Hi,

Why not try your local plumbers merchant for a belfast sink ? They easily get a little damaged and most of the merchants just bin them. Will hold enough for a few plants and a couple of small fish. You might get some spawn next year and the frogs/toads will help with the slug/bug problem  ;D

Adam
If it's not on fire it's a software problem

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal