Author Topic: What are side shoots?  (Read 2192 times)

piglit

• Quarter Acre
  • Tall oaks… from little haycorns grow.
What are side shoots?
« on: May 06, 2004, 11:06:38 »
And for todays spectacularly stupid question...
on tomatoes, what exactly are side shoots? My instructions say to remove all side shoots until the plant is 4 ft tall or something like that.  Now if I take this literally I will remove all the bits that stick out the side and end up with just a few leaves on the top.  Not good?? Are side shoots the little sprouts that appear just above the side stems? Tiny little things? Please help, I know I am very ignorant!
"It is awfully hard to be b-b-brave," said Piglet, "when you are only a Very Small Animal."

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
Re:What are side shoots?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 11:26:52 »
Not that ignorant -got it in one. The side shoots are the ones that come out at an angle between the stem and the leaves or trusses. Let them grow a bit bigger and it will become obvious.

BTW you can plant these up as cuttings if you don't think you've got enough toms.

rdak

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 12:07:19 »
if you're going to use them as cuttings, best leave them to grow to about 4 inches.

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 13:24:46 »
But remember by letting them grow you reduce your yeild of lovely toms a bit ;)  I usually do grow a few tho to plant late to get me some green toms at end of season ;)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 13:30:11 »
I doubt that you would notice the difference - after all, we all miss the odd shoot, which can grow feet long - & how can we compare what we have with what might have been??

A rooting powder helps the cuttings - I believe. = Tim

Oops - Just seen John's note on the 'terminal' thread. I stand corrected.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 13:36:24 by tim »

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 13:52:26 »
Hi Piglit, the side shoots are the ones shown on my site at  http://kenkew.mysite.freeserve.com/
Go to page two. Hope this helps. Sorry, can't post pics direct to here now. :-\

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 14:15:11 »
A picture is worth athousand words  :)

piglit

• Quarter Acre
  • Tall oaks… from little haycorns grow.
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 17:22:17 »
Thanks for all your replies... very helpful.  ANd thanks for the tip about planting the shoots for extra plants.  I thought that only a few seeds would germinate and currently have about 45 plants but am fully expecting them all to die when I put them outside so a backup tomato plant scheme would be great!

Thanks again,

Alice
"It is awfully hard to be b-b-brave," said Piglet, "when you are only a Very Small Animal."

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2004, 17:59:43 »
THAT'S the one, Ken , that I was trying to find to answer the question!

But - new question - why not cut?? If they are tiny, you can 'pinch out', but they so often get to 5mm or so and, if you break, you often get a 'hang up' or a tear. I always cut.

??  ? = Tim

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2004, 19:41:47 »
I break rather than cut for a couple of reasons. One, I don't damage the parent plant or leave a 'stump' that will continue to grow, and 2, the break takes a little of the parent plant with it which makes for better propogation (if that's the intention.)

PS: If propogation is the intention, let the shoot grow to about 4" before breaking it off. That way it has plenty of 'juice' to see it through the initioal root developement. It's also possible to let the shoot grow and train it up another stake.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 20:14:08 by kenkew »

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2004, 19:45:30 »
Oh! = Tim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal