Author Topic: Carrots 'n' poo  (Read 839 times)

Pigface51

• Quarter Acre
Carrots 'n' poo
« on: January 22, 2007, 13:43:19 »
I am finishing off a few raised beds to surround my main beds...

...the raised beds (from link-a-bord : recommended) are filled with a layer of well rotted horse manure, then a layer of organic compost and then topped off with top soil (well dug, stones removed).

..I tried this at the end of last year and got good lettuces, spring onions, bettroot, pak choi and salad leaves - but got 'variable' carrots. Most of the carrots that I grew looked like a long balloon that had only been blown up parttially, i.e. a 12 inch long main root with only the top 2 inches looking carrot shaped.

I have now heard that the manure might be the cause as carrots can be funny about poo...

...however, I have seen carrot seeds that grow as little round balls (?Parisier). Would these be better?

Any help is gladly received....

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Carrots 'n' poo
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 13:50:06 »
I grow Parmex and Paris Market in succession - still trying to get a decent carrot out of this plot. One day! ::)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 14:01:16 »
As I have mentioned before,and like supersprout I am trying to get a variety that suits my ground.

I think I would agree with your comments on last year crop, sounds like your ground was too 'rich' so the carrots did not have to seek out 'feed' it was all there in the top couple of inches. The long tap root was was searching for moisture.

I would suggest a stump rooted variety in a raised bed simply because they are often too shallow for long rooted varieties. I find 'Autumn King' which has been about for a while a good all rounder.

Plus try this;

In manured ground insert blade of spade into the bed and push it backwards & forwards to form a 'V' shaped trench.

Trickle in a proprietary potting compost into the trench and sow the seed as previously described.

This method is particularly beneficial in dry seasons.

i.e. the manure retains sufficient moisture in the ground between rain showers to keep the carrots going.

This method also reduces the chances of stunted or forked growth.

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 19:32:00 »
some graet tips
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 20:52:27 »
The manure will make them fork.

My soil is very stoney, so i tried the round ones last year. They are OK but you dont get much carrot for the effort, mine were no bigger than golf balls (at the biggest!). I also grew Chantenay Red Cored - they done very well and hardly forked at all.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Pigface51

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 15:45:41 »
Thanks - I'll have a go at that...

...the V-shaped well sounds like a good way to utelise some of my plot compost...

(still jealous fo my Dad's carrots - don't know the variety, but, in a clay soil had a diameter of 5 inches, a length of 16 inches and weighed over 1 1/2 lbs...almost looked lika  monster parsnip!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal