Author Topic: cat wars  (Read 1908 times)

sarah

• Hectare
cat wars
« on: September 26, 2007, 14:32:34 »
i have two new cats which came to my home about two months ago. in most respects they have settled in very well and i love them both to bits. they come from the same home originally; one is a male about a year old and the other is a female about two years old.  i have had both cats neutered. the male cat seems to have a bit of a problem with the female and keeps lashing out at her ; they have a very minor frackar two or three times a day from which she runs off hissing to hide and he struts off with his head held high. she doesnt seem to be nervous of him though and will quite often put herslf in his path almost provoking him. wierd. i guess this is all about hierarchy and dominance etc and as no physical harm seems to occur i have hoped that they would sort it out and eventualy the pecking order would kick in. but its two months now and its still happening. will they ever sort it out or will they always be like this? apart from this they are both very lovely cats and very friendly.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: cat wars
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 17:01:34 »
we had two cats, kate, the older one, female, was a haughty , sometimes nasty, cat
smoke, the younger one, male, was so laid back you wouldn't believe it
they never got over the challenge, she was just as nasty, sometimes, to us and always spat at him if he came near..one of those things, I suppose  ;D

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 15:49:10 »
Had a friend with an identical problem.

The usual solution is to add a third cat - which worked in her case!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 17:04:11 »
Like it moonbells - "more cats"!!! Now there speaks a cat person!  ;D

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 14:26:55 »
We have had our cats (both female ) since kittens. They are both 7 now, one is 2 weeks older than the other from 2 seperate litters.......do I actually know how obvious that is?

Anyhoo......the slightly older one still bats and hisses at the younger, but much bigger one. She is a cranky mare though. She spits at my OH too sometimes ;D ;D

Maybe.....just maybe yours will tolerate each other better than mine do ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

sarah2210

• Not So New ...
    • Easy Aromatherapy
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 13:32:33 »
We have 3 cats, 2 of which are litter sisters and the third is 5 years younger than the sisters. We have a similar issue whereas Lucy, the tabby is constantly bounced on, bitten and picked on by the other 2. Gerry, the tortie is just generally grumpy and picks on the other 2 and even us on occasion!! However, come dinner time, all 3 will appear in the same room and eat near each other quite happily, bizare creatures, aren't they?

I think that as long as there's no physical injuries this behaviour will continue don't worry too much, it often sounds a lot worse than it is really. Trust me on this, having seen 2 Estrela Mountain Dogs both weighing over 1 stine going at it without injuring each other I know tha tis is true!

Hope tha reassures a little as it probably doesn't help much.

Sarah  :)

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 16:31:08 »
i think youre right. they seem to have a perculiar relationship. i actually think that he seems to want her to play really (except when its tea time and then he means business) and because he is quite a bit bigger than her she tends to sqeek if he bats her. but she will have a bat at him if he's passing too.  they are funny. he keeps requisitioning all her little nests aswell. today i found him squeezed into a box i have on my desk that she likes to curl up in when i am working. he looked so silly spilling over the edges.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal