Author Topic: Urgent: PayPal fraud  (Read 2576 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Urgent: PayPal fraud
« on: August 17, 2006, 18:09:28 »
Some scumbag has hacked into my account and added a new email address to it and paid for something worth £181 today.

PayPal are on to it, but the money may still go out of my account and they will reimburse me after the investigation. That will be in 10 days.

Check your accounts if you have one!

I have the scumbags email and am considering what to do with it....

:'(

Yellow Petals

Re: Urgent: PayPal fraud
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 18:15:50 »
Exact same thing happened to me just after Christmas.  I had about £320 left in there (that in itself was a Christmas miracle) and they left me with about £21.  Paypal not as helpful as I would have liked them to be but I did eventually get most of it back.  Keep on their tails, they won't get in touch with you unless you keep chasing them.  I changed all of my details and now shift all but about £20 out of there and into my bank account each time I sell something.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 18:34:51 »
 ???

I asked them to close the account immediately. They cannot do that until the investigation is over! Harrrumph!

Joke is that I hardly ever use it! Certainly will not be using it again after this!

Still have the little b*****ds email addy tho 8)

MonsterMum

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 18:44:06 »
What worries me is that PayPal have your bank/credit card details stored for payments etc

How did you find out that this had happened?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 18:46:29 by baby_boo-bah »

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 19:00:51 »
Had an email telling me that a new email address had been added to my Paypal account.
Went into my account to look and saw the transaction...eeeek!
 >:(

Yellow Petals

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 00:54:31 »
Ooops, I must just add that I didn't have anybody add an extra email account to paypal but rather a straight forward hack and grab. 

petuariapete

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 18:21:08 »
katynewbie,

Sounds like a classic 'phishing' scheme to me. They send you an e-mail purporting to be from Paypal asking you log into a fake lookalike site with your personal details and they then have access to your account to empty it.

I have had experience of these people. If you e-mail me his address at james.riddler[at]fastmail.fm (remove the at and replace with @) and I will sort them out. Rest assured, there will be no comeback whatsoever on you. I just hate scammers and eBay/Paypal are not to quick to acknowledge the problem.

PP
Cauliflower and sprouts are the Devil's banquet!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 10:39:15 »
|I had someone try to take over my account a while back. I was 'phished' a couple  of times by emails asking me to 'Log In' to paypal and confirm my details. One even said i had bought something from a company i had never heard of. A request for bank details got me on the alert and I checked my paypal account nothing had gone out that I didnt know about so i sent the email to paypal and they cofirmed it was a spoof email

Then blow me I got another one - this one was a closer call since it it seemed to be a response from paypal to the previous incident. The email claimed my account hadbeen accessed from 'overseas' and was being investigated for misuse. i was told to log in withing 72 hourrs or the account would be frozen. Coming so soon after the previous phishing attempt I wa again suspicious. Once again i went to the paypal website and logged in to check the account. Nothing was amis so sent the suspect email to paypal and asked if it was genuine. Once again it came back as a spoof email. Yet another close call.

It seems the people who do this are geting more and more clever. Both times they atempted to phish me the emails could easily have been taken as genuine paypal emails and fooled someone not so 'on the ball' as me. The result would have ben a hacked account and payments made for goodness knows what amount. It scares me to think just how close i came to having that happen, since I would guess that it would be hard to prove to paypal at that stage that the payment was NOT mde by the account holder.  Fortunatley for me i have a suspicious nature and am naturaly wary of such things. Plus I dont use paypal that much so if the second phishing mail had been genuine and I had ignored it, it would have m]been no great loss to have had the account frozen or closed down.

iggy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 11:24:13 »
on average i recieve about 6 phishing emails a week regarding either ebay paypal or egg ( i havent even got  an egg account which is quite funny )
the golden rule is never click a link in an email allways go to the site through google or similar and then log in
also make sure you spell it right if you are searching for the site as paypal or similar as often minor spelling mistakes if your not paying attention can lead to phishing webbys as well

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 11:36:27 »
I had one of those from a company I had never heard of, saying that they had claimed money from my Paypal account for a purchase that I had never made. If I had replied, querying the situation, they would have got the details that they were phishing for.
Paypal's so called investigation procedures are a joke. I had a problem last year, and when I complained to Paypal, they reclaimed the money from the other party, & claimed to be investigating. They did absolutely nothing for six weeks - guess who was getting interest on the money? - and when I complained about their inaction, handed the money back to the crook!
I eventually got Judgement for £350 in Preston County Court.

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 14:22:35 »

The email claimed my account hadbeen accessed from 'overseas' and was being investigated for misuse. i was told to log in withing 72 hourrs or the account would be frozen.

I had one of those too.   There's only about a quid in my account anyway so I ignored it, glad I did now.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal