Author Topic: Essex weather forecast  (Read 1333 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Essex weather forecast
« on: August 11, 2006, 00:30:00 »
I know we all take metcheck with a pinch of salt, but if they are right, we will be having lashings of rain Saturday and Sunday, then again Wednesday!  hoorah!  I am keeping everything crossed.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Essex weather forecast
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 00:52:56 »
Nothing much forecast here. We had some sharp showers this morning, and just when I was hoping it would go on all day, it stopped. When I got to the allotment, the soil was barely damp in sheltered spots, and bone dry everywhere else. The stream was flowing, but then I found that down the bottom end of the site, it wasn't. So I went exploring up it. At the bottom end there were pools in the bed, so at least the water table was higher there. It usually is. A little further up, I met the water coming down.

It's only the second time I've ever seen anything like that; the first time was in Glencoe years ago. It had been raining non-stop for ten days or so, and I was walking up the Lost Valley; you go over      a big rockfall that blocks it, then above it there's a level grassy flat with a dry stream bed. At least, it's usually dry; that time the water was steadily working its way down, welling up through the gravel. I went up to the top of the valley, then turned back, which was a mistake. i only just bot across the torrent I found!

By the time I went home, the stream was flowing steadily, but noticebly faster at the top of the site than at the bottom. There must have ben a great deal of water going into the water table where we need it.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 00:54:23 »
Oh wouldn't that be luverly........luverly..........
                                                                       luverly........................

luverly  ::)
Smile, it confuses people.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 13:27:07 »
Right, nipping out to peg in the washing.......HUGE black clouds on the horizon!   YIPPEE!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 17:22:32 »
Did it rain EJ? Waiting with eager anticipation here in Wakering, not a drop yet, but clouds aplenty. (the wind just blows them away).

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 18:02:24 »
I'm FED UP with getting the washing back in every time a cloud comes over!!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 19:20:15 »
And Robert, I didn't get any 'sharp showers' where I was....and not that many miles from you? Was T-shirt weather here in B'ville - all day :-\

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 19:26:54 »
Same here, just along the A45 a bit east...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 22:17:40 »
Lovely rain, lovely big plops on the conservatory roof!  Two good downpours late this afternoon, and when I shut up shop this evening, I could hear splatters again.  Oh I am overjoyed!  I am going to the plot at the crack of dawn tomorrow as I have lots to catch up with, and even if it is raining, I will be there relishing every drop!  Hope you all get the rain you need!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 23:14:36 »
Hey ho, nary a drop. It's saving itself for the golfer tomorrow.   ;D ;D ;D

Bun

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 12:15:24 »
Well it finished rain here in Harlow about an hour ago. 5 minutes after the people came from Benfleet to take away our sons outgrown Jungle Climber that we had freecycled to them.  The man had just had his hip replaced & the lady was in sandels so me & OH had to dismantle it & help them to load it in the pouring rain! LOL

My garden looks greener already!  :D It also looks a lot bally bigger without that bally great thing in the middle of it!  ;)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 17:27:15 »
IT HAS RAINED.  ;D  And guess who got soaked whilst blackberrying- but did I care? No I did not. Got 2lbs of what look like Oregon but with the thorns and very sweet. Now ready for the blackberry and pear pie tommorrow. :P

WE NEED MORE RAIN-----WE NEED MORE RAIN-----WE NEED MORE RAIN

Bun

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 19:42:49 »
More rain.  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal