Author Topic: nut trees  (Read 1580 times)

bev and andy

• Not So New ...
nut trees
« on: January 20, 2006, 10:46:10 »
anyone tell me if you can be successful with a hazelnut tree , we are in wilts

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
Re: nut trees
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 12:04:23 »
Hazels are native to Britain, very easily grown and can certainly be successful - got 12kg of nuts from two trees last year. You need two trees for pollination (by the wind) and it takes them a few years to start cropping. Squirrels are probably the main problem. For some reason, we get squirrels which visit, but they never seem to stick around to eat the nuts.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 18:24:14 »
I heard a feature on Gardener's question time on BBC Radio 4 this week about growing hazels, cobnuts and filberts (try 'play again' at www.bbc.co.uk) and you might find the following of interest: http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=28&topic=15703.0
Lucky you! ;D

bev and andy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 10:11:57 »
thanks, im going to give it a go

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 10:28:34 »
Hazels have long been used as a hedging plant on my site, with the result that there are trees scattered across the site. I don't think anyone harvests any of them, but I get hazels germinating all over the place, and the squirrels leave piles of empty shells here and there; I had one on one of my daleks last year.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 11:14:43 »
About a thrid of the hedges along our lane are hazels, say about 2 miles worth? Last year I got 15 nuts from them. They are mostly taken by mice rather than squirrels. Oh and half of the ones I did collect have weevils in them. There are cultivated varieties which do far better than wildlings.
Gardening is the great leveller.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal