Author Topic: Couch Grass and Raised beds+  (Read 2873 times)

chuff

• Half Acre
Couch Grass and Raised beds+
« on: November 26, 2005, 16:33:34 »
I took my plot over at the end of august, weed killer had been put down over the summer to kill off the couch by the council, and I covered it over with black polythene to stop it from growing back through. Last weekend I planned to get three raised beds in for my soft fruit bushes, The raised beds are in but they are empty, I had to dig away the top soil due to the amount of roots from blackberry brambles and the dredded couch grass which left a lot of what appeared to be grass seed behind, so I left them like this so the birds would hopefully eat the seeds reducing the chances of weeds growing back. I dont know if this was a good idea seen as the weather has turned so cold and my goose gogs and rasps are sat in the shed waiting to be put to bed ;D Im going to be using bought compost and top soil for the beds Please see below
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 16:42:30 by chuff »

chuff

• Half Acre
Re: Couch Grass and Raised beds+
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 16:41:49 »
sorry about that folkes some how managed to post that before I had finished. anyway does any one have any advise on how I can get away with not having to dig so much would the couch grass roots eventually die off if I place cardboard down inside the raised beds. The paths need to be dug out as well and I hate digging >:(
Help Please!!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 16:59:29 »
Couch will die off under black plastic; just be sure the dig down a few inches all round the edge as otherwise the roots will be sustained by grass growing outside the covered area. It's not that hard to get rid of as long as you keep on top of it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 17:01:25 by Robert_Brenchley »

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 17:16:53 »
Yep, I agree. I have grass round my beds which is pure couch which gets mown but it's a pain and is going just as soon as conditions are right.  I think for easyness I might just cover it with the very strong black sheet mulch I've got as it says it can be walked on.  Just a bit of levelling of with a bit of mole hill soil will do the trick  :)  I think I'd have to put some chipped bark or chippings from the lotty shredder over it to protect it a bit from getting ripped.
I came, I saw, I composted

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 19:06:35 »
I've just done my first bit of digging on my allotment.  Dug up plenty of perennial weeds: docks, horeradish and long white roots which lie horizantally (fairly shallow) with a diameter of approx. 4mm. IS THIS THE DREADED COUCH? ??? :'(

On the plus side :), my brand new azada and azada fork worked a treat, and the soil looks great. I'm on London clay, but was surprised the soil was quite dark and not half as wet and sticky as I expected. I'm only digging one bed now. The rest will be covered with cardboard.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 19:11:52 »
... and long white roots which lie horizantally (fairly shallow) with a diameter of approx. 4mm. IS THIS THE DREADED COUCH? ??? :'(

Yes
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 19:13:33 »
I agree with redclanger, it could well be couch. My couch roots resemble spaghetti when they are lifted, often matted together.

Derekthefox :D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005, 21:48:44 »
Sounds that way. Don't panic, just keep at it.

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005, 23:03:25 »
I've just done my first bit of digging on my allotment.  Dug up plenty of perennial weeds: docks, horeradish and long white roots which lie horizantally (fairly shallow) with a diameter of approx. 4mm. IS THIS THE DREADED COUCH? ??? :'(
Remember that the long white roots are really rhizomes, underground stems. They can easily be killed by dessication or starvation which is why summer cultivation is far more effective than cultivation at this time of year.

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 05:35:57 »
Couch Grass The bain of the common allotmentere. I think it out ranks bindweed and dock and marse tail. I love the stuff. NOT!

Hey like staited on this thread keep at it. The old saying Dig for Victory!

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 15:10:45 »
Remember the plus bit of couch grass though, it produces a lovely tilth when you remove it ... !!!

Derekthefox :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal