Author Topic: flame gun  (Read 1942 times)

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
flame gun
« on: November 20, 2005, 14:03:36 »
Saw someone rotavating a new plot today. He'd used a flame gun on it two weeks ago, not one of those teeny flame guns for use on patios but a massive big one. Has anyone got experience of using one of these? How effective are they? Will they kill perrenial weeds?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: flame gun
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 18:17:33 »
NO!!

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 18:18:33 »
Dandy,
They are very useful for torching annuals (two passes).
They won't destroy deep rooted weeds.
If you buy one, the make is most likely 'Sheen'. Google it & you'll find the price about £150 - depending on accessories.
Try e-bay, that's where I obtained mine.
They do consume paraffin a a rate, so practice helps!
Good Luck.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 19:20:43 »
And do use a 'hood' if near good plants. And don't fry - just wilt.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 19:38:44 »
I have a couple of neighbours who use them; they're really useful for keeping paths clear and burning off sprouting weed seedlings. I do have one, but it needs some serious work done to get it burning properly, and I was too unwell to do it over the summer.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 20:19:05 »
There are no 'good' plants, just grass and weeds.  :( The flame gun seemed to have done a good job on my neighbour's plot, but that one was simply overgrown with grass. Mine's got lots of docks, some horesradish and brambles. 

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 23:57:14 »
Hey Dandelion,

I took on an abandoned plot end of June.

Have to admit we used a burner to get started.  Well, the grass was 4 ft high !!  Hired a grand bit of equipment, a trident of burners no less, with mighty large gas bottle!!

Having to start from scratch did at least give me a fighting chance.  I have dug the plot since.  Had to do that to remove the couch grass.

As a one off, the burner proved to be a very satisfactory way to start  things off.
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 07:34:00 »
When I started, I used a scythe!

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 07:59:31 »
Same here Tim, Scythe and then dug over with a fork and got all the roots out, long job but if it is done correct no need to be done again.  It is just a mater of taking your time with it and not to be into much of a rush.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

undercarriage plan

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 09:45:55 »
This was a section of my little weed infested plot bout 5 years ago, cut, strimmed, jumped up and down and dug, dug some more, swore alot then dug again!!
Lottie  ;D

myrtle

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 11:11:54 »
On the plot up from me, the lady comes every spring digs over a 6'x3' bed, plants her toms grown at home and then goes.  Usually she comes back once to pick a few but then they are left to rot and fall to the ground! Criminal!  >:(

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 12:21:17 »
That sounds encouraging flowerlady. I'm thinking of digging up two beds and teasing out all the roots by hand. I'll plant these beds up with salad veg and strawberries next spring (I have 40 strawberry runners planted in pots!).
As for the rest of the plot...It won't look pretty but this is the plan: Dig out the worst of the weeds (brambles etc) by hand, flame-gun the area, get the council to rotavate it , dig a few big holes, fill with half rotted compost, some more manure on the top to make little mounds, plant pumpkins and cover all the flame-gunned/rotavated soil with cardboard until autumn.  Maybe I'll dig some trenches for potatoes too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal