Author Topic: What is your favourite Gardening Magazine?  (Read 5840 times)

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
What is your favourite Gardening Magazine?
« on: November 11, 2005, 12:49:17 »
What is your favourite gardening mag? Mine used to be Amature Gardening. I used to enjoy the magazine with straight forward articles and some good advice. Also they used to give away free flower seeds which was good as I used to have some great fun sowing and growing them for the garden. I wish they would have given away some free vege seeds, but hey something free is not to bad so I will not complain. I have not bought a gardening magazine in a long time. I think my new years resolution is to spen a few bob on a few gardening magazines. It makes great bedtime reading :) especially over the cold winter months :)

So what is your favourite gardening mag?

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: What is your favourite Gardening Magazine?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 13:13:37 »
Wouldn't like to say I have a fave.  I subscribe to Kitchen Garden, altho this will be the last time, and in the past I have subscribed to Gardeners World, and the RHS the Garden mag.  Once in a blue moon I will buy one of the other mags, depends whats on the cover, if I fancy the seeds, or if I am having a coffee in Sainsburys waiting for someone and have time to fill.  Course, money is the object for me mostly, they are all so expensive...well I think they are anyhow.  So there you go, what a help I am!

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 13:36:35 »
I did like Kitchen Garden. I did try some of the others too but not madly impressed cos I only want to grow things I can eat. Then I had a real fetish for scouring charity shops for how to grow your own vegetable books. Well that was really satisfying found quite a few of those. So bless I usually go to bed with one of them. :-*
Marigold

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 13:41:26 »
Hi Snail, i always buy GARDEN ANSWERS have enjoyed it for a long time , a mine of information in there i really do enjoy reading it,Have also bought GARDENERS WORLD, i like to take a couple away with me to read (i know weirdo) ;D but i do take novels as well. ;D ;D ;D.

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 13:54:04 »
Emma I know what you mean with the pennies ;) and you where a great help. Rally I am not after any help I am just being nosey :D

Rosebud I have tried gardening answers a few years ago and found it ok. The reason why I did not buy it on a regular basis is the fact that the price is so steep.

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 14:13:07 »
I get a few
The Garden (RHS Journal) which is quite good these days - has sections on growing food as well as flowers and having probolem pages etc. Bit dear though if you aren't an active member of the RHS.

Amateur Gardening
Been good for veg and herbs this year - themed the freebie seeds with little booklets every few weeks on container veg,  tropical plantings, basically trend plantings.  Still has news pages and regulars, though I have noticed that they often have an issue which looks like a clone of BBC GW mag in their featured plants! Subscribing's only really cheap in year one then they sneak the price up but it's still less than buying off the shelf unless you don't buy all the issues! Subscribers get it early too - Saturday morning usually when shops don't get it till Tuesday. Perfect breakfast reading!

BBC GW
Very expensive these days -  I decided a while ago to give it up then discovered that instead of paying £30++ for a subscription, I could use Tesco clubcard points to £8.85 and get it for that much! So I do, and now it's *very* good value for money at less than 75p a month! ;D Has an allotments bit (not up to much though) and rest of the tie-ins.

Hard to find on their website though so here are the prices

Title                          Clubcard Voucher Price     Normal Price     Product Code
BBC Good Homes           £8.85                           £35.40               P8911
BBC Good Food             £8.40                             £33.60         P8912
BBC Wildlife                  £10.00                         £40.30            P8914
BBC Top Gear               £11.55                        £46.20         P8196
BBC History                 £10.20                          £40.80           P8917
BBC Homes & Antiques £9.90                            £39.60           P8910
olive                               £9.00                       £36.00         P8920
Gardeners' World          £8.85                         £35.40              P8913

and order form is downloadable from here
http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/frames/main.asp?url=/clubcard/clubcard/deals/main.htm&left=/clubcard/frames/default.asp?ref=L3

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 15:32:39 »
I've subscribed to Amateur Gardening for a couple of years now and whilst I agree it's good breakfast reading on a Saturday morning, I do get fed up with their 'celebrity' obsession and I'm beginning to find it somewhat repetitive.  So I'm looking for something different and will watch this thread with interest.

G xx

PS  I have a year's supply of the mags to give away over on Swap Shop.
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal