Author Topic: Broadband for multiple home computers  (Read 2329 times)

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
Broadband for multiple home computers
« on: September 23, 2005, 17:53:57 »
We're about to bite the bullet and buy a laptop for no 1 son who is also going to need internet access at home.  I have a broadband connection via Virgin using a green tadpole of a modem which I don't think I can connect a second computer to.  Looks like I need something like a wireless router which will also accommodate a wired computer.  Assuming the router is attached to my static computer, will DS be able to connect to the internet from anywhere else in the house?  Will I need to get anything else or do anything else?  Not technically minded so any help will be much appreciated.

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
Re: Broadband for multiple home computers
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 20:26:20 »
You'll need a wireless modem as well (for your son's computer) because you'll be setting up a network.

RosieM

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 09:24:58 »
Jill,

Most wireless routers can also be used for wired connections through the ethernet sockets, you just need to buy a cable, you may be able to use the one that connects your static pc to the modem.

As for the laptop, if it is a new one it may have the wireless connection card already installed, it is bound to tell you on a sticker on the machine somewhere or look in 'network connections' in the control panel. If there isn't then you will need to buy a wireless network card from the same place as the router - my old IT dept used to say that if you can, get one of the same make as the router - less likely to cause problems.

You shouldn't need anything more than that. But there will be others who know better than me!   :)

RosieM

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 14:15:29 »
Many thanks, Rosa and Rosie.  First things first then: decide on which laptop and check what it comes with.

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 03:37:55 »
its maybe a good idea to go and pick the brains at pc world or something as theres a few forms of connections etc

ethernet connection / USB connection /

cheap is using 2 adapters (note the word adapters !!!) which can only use AD HOC and isnt the best connection in the world  where as using and access point (posh for router you may already have a router / modem so you just need the access point to connect)

the story goes on a long time lol and i suggest you do a bit of home work for your needs

i used belkin theres a full wireless/router/firewall built in for about 69 quid and a pcmcia card for the laptop 20 quid and a pci card all belkin and operates at 54mps (there are more exspensive ones but the 54g ones give me reasonable range good security and the download is excellent around my house (this will vary according to the area you live in !!!

DO YOUR HOME WORK AND ASK IN PC WORLD OR SOME WHERE ALIKE !!!

Carl
another member of i forgot my password

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 10:45:30 »
Hi Carl

I dd my homework and went to PC World, Staples, Argos, the computer shop on the corner.  Due to all the students flooding back to Canterbury for the start of term the shops had all sold out of the Belkin USB adaptor I needed.  Ended up with a Belkin wireless network card.  Opened up tower, popped card in, vacuumed the dust out, switched everything back on and son is now well chuffed - new laptop with internet connection anywhere in the house or garden.  The wonders of modern technology...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 14:39:15 by Jill »

ChrisH

• Quarter Acre
    • http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/enable/index.htm
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 20:50:14 »
Jill,

Don't forget to change the default password on the router as this can be found by anyone on the makers website normally (or some technical forum)

Safe surfing    :)

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 22:40:44 »
Hi Chris H.  Did that too.  Encryption(?) done.  What was interesting, given that we live in a street of terraced and semis is that at least 2 of the other wireless router/modems in the street were totally unsecured.  Son could have latched on to one of those broadband connections and saved me a bit of money if I'd known. ;) ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal