Author Topic: Sweetcorn - when?  (Read 2368 times)

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
Sweetcorn - when?
« on: August 01, 2005, 20:25:13 »
My sweetcorn is really weedy looking - as in thin and pathetic and quite short- but is forming cobs. some seem quite large. How do I know when they are ready? How long do they take from setting? Thought you could tell from the tasselly bits but some of those have disappeared/dropped off. Help please!!

ellkebe

• Hectare
Re: Sweetcorn - when?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 20:48:53 »
Did the tasselly bits go brown first?  I think that' s supposed to be one of the signs of ripeness.  Though have to admit, I got my corn going to early and have only had two cobs of the first - small - batch, so am hoping the second lot will catch up over the next few weeks.  They tasted wonderful, so I think this is a crop to persevere with  :)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 20:55:22 »
Go on, peel one back and have a look!

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 21:48:23 »
You're right ellkebe, the tassels go brown when the corn is ready.

Last year my sweetcorn reached what I thought was a decent size, 5 feet, and by this time had mostly flowered and was forming cobs.
This year, it's now over 7 feet tall and not even a flower yet... the only difference is that this year I'm growing MINI sweetcorn!
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 23:20:41 »
You're right ellkebe, the tassels go brown when the corn is ready.

Last year my sweetcorn reached what I thought was a decent size, 5 feet, and by this time had mostly flowered and was forming cobs.
This year, it's now over 7 feet tall and not even a flower yet... the only difference is that this year I'm growing MINI sweetcorn!

Ah yes, the dreaded minipop that isn't...  this is my third year of growing this and I never cease to be amazed at how tall it gets.

Just beware - the mini cobs go from tiny to woody in about 5 days, so you really must pick when you see any tassels. If they've gone burgundy-pink then the cobs are going past their best!

Here's my corn bed:

The ones flowering at the front are Lark F1 (Tendersweet) and the giants at the back Minipop. They are fine to grow together as the minipops flower much later and it's easy to cut out the tassels before they can cross pollinate the other types (flavour depends on what pollinates the flowers - so if a normal or mini pollinates a super or tendersweet, you get a starchy result).

Oh and the minis (eventually) have several cobs per plant, so be careful when trying to twist them out of the leaf joints as it's all too easy to snap the main stem!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 10:06:16 »
periwinkle - I know I've said it before but, if you do take a peek, do reseal the 'wound' or the earwigs will be in like a flash!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 10:06:50 »
as well as the tassles going brown, you can check by peeling back the wrapping leaves and poking a nail into a kernel. If the liquid that comes out is clear and watery, it's not ripe, if it's milky then it is.

Run to the kitchen and pop the cob in a pot of boiling water.

can't wait!

(my plants are about 6ft tall - my biggest yet. But I'm worried that they managed to shed all the pollen before the female flowers have started to form.)
gone to pot :D

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 16:47:06 »
I have been extremely unorganised this year and planted

my sweetcorn too late - they currently stand at 2" tall :'(Waagh!!!)

I see it as a 'learning curve' and am determined to have a planned

calendar of seed sowing etc..

Defeat is not a word in MY vocabulary ;D

Debs :D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 18:13:15 »
You still have time Debs, up until about mid September . . .

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 21:55:04 »
Yes, Debs, don't forget we're supposed to be having a heatwave this month - temps of over 100 dgs, anyone remember this? - if that doesn't bring 'em on, nothing will!

Phew Moonbells, cheers for the reassurance about the height of the 'mini' sweetcorn! I've just been outside to have another peek and there's this strange bloke called Jack standing there looking up, with a goose under his arm...
Lesson for life:

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 08:38:22 »
Nooooo - no heatwave  :(  I'm about to go on holiday (to Ireland - where rain is forecast!!! - maybe I could take my lottie with me?!)  I've asked neighbours to water for me (and harvest anything of use to them) but it's a bit of a task for them if the temps going to go sky high.  On the other hand - my replacement corn (having totally mistimed the first batch) is under two foot high, so an extended season til mid Sept. would be welcome.

I'm beginning to think that with lotties, you have to make the most of whatever happens - and keep smiling (much like life!)

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 20:00:11 »

Derekthefox  & Amazin,

You have restored my faith!

On  a visit to the lottie yesterday, I looked around and felt a

little disheartened at my lack of produce.

Debs

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 21:25:37 »
No no no no no no no, never feel disheartened Debs- weeds thrive on it!
That's a well-known fact, that is (well, it is on my planet).

;D
Lesson for life:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal