Author Topic: Runner Beans  (Read 2312 times)

Fieldfare

Runner Beans
« on: August 23, 2005, 09:36:20 »
 :)Hi everyone,

I've a glut of Runner Beans and wondered if anyone has a tried and tested recipe for Runner Bean Chutney??

FF

Belinda

• Half Acre
  • Still learning
Re: Runner Beans
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 13:17:31 »
Came across this on another forum, can't vouch for it as I don't grow Runners anymore though.

Runner Bean Chutney

2lb Runner Beans Sliced and cut small
1 ½lb Onions cut into small pieces

cornflower mixture
2 tablespoons cornflour
1 ¼ tablespoons Turmeric powder
1 teaspoon Dried mustard powder
mixed to liquid with some of the vinegar

little salt

1 ½ pints vinegar
2lb Demerara sugar

1. cook beans in salted water until tender , then drain of water
2. boil onions in ½ pint vinegar until tender, put into saucepan with beans, add rest of vinegar and boil for 15 minutes.
3. Then add the cornflour mixture to the beans and onion and add the sugar, boil for a further 10 minutes .
4. Leave to cool then pot into sterilised jars.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 14:19:38 »

Fieldfare

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 17:32:27 »
 ;D

Thanks very much to both of you.

I better start saving jars now!!

FF.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 22:47:07 »
Hi there FF....I made the chutney last year that Jill gave the link for....it was lovely - at first I thought a bit on the sweet side but it grew on me & I just couldn't get enough of it.....had it with so many things, gorgeous in sandwiches with cheese or cold meats  :P

Sadly this year - only 1 bean has germinated out of the ones I sowed (straight into ground as last year) but it has produced about 6 beans so far!!

H.P.

Fieldfare

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 08:30:40 »
Hi HP,

Thanks for recommending the chutney I'm certainly going to have a go as I've loads and loads of em and can't eat em quick enough!!

Sorry to hear about yours though :( Did the snails get yours then if you sowed straight into the ground?

I started mine off in the greenhouse till they were quite big......the snails don't seem to go for them then!

Best wishes FF.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 09:52:49 »
My old mum used to salt her runner beans to store them.  We used to get those great big jars from the sweet shop  :)  This was in the days before we had a freezer.  Come to think of it we never did get a freezer while I lived at home - so everything was pickled, bottled or salted  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal