Author Topic: Alien Pasta  (Read 4028 times)

BAGGY

• Hectare
Alien Pasta
« on: May 25, 2005, 20:44:40 »
I have to say I am quite chuffed with myself.  Cooked Alien Pasta for the worlds fussiest kid and he scoffed the lot.
recipe
Cook broccoli til it is ever so slightly over cooked but still bright green.  Cook pasta shells and drain.  Chop the broccoli til it is small and mix with cooked pasta.  Add a small tub of double cream and two egg yolks.  Give it a good mix and top with crispy bacon cubes (panchetta?) and Parmesan.  The reason I am so chuffed is this little lad had a medical condition that means he cannot eat a large meal without getting full up quickly.  By eating Alien Pasta he gets his veggies, carbs, protein etc and a hefty helping of calories to boot.  And because it is bright green it is fun to eat and he didn't realise he was eating broccoli. :)
Get with the beat Baggy

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
Re: Alien Pasta
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 21:45:02 »
Well done on getting something down your little sonny Jim  ;D

Sounds tasty but i would have to think of a substitue for the cream, maybe creme fraishe, that would be as good  :P

Might give it a whirl, mind you they would eat anything in our house as long as its hot and steaming.....now theres an idea  :o ;) :D

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 22:11:40 »
You can use low fat philladelphia cheese and a splash of milk.  I only had garlic and herb and didn't want to put him off.
Get with the beat Baggy

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 22:15:17 »
Ahhhh now thats a good idea, now your talking  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 23:41:20 »
Can't use the eggs in this house, but that does sound tasty.  Daughter number one has discovered a taste for the yellow stems of my bright light chard.  She calls it a sunshine veggie.  I will be doing her a similar thing to your alien pasta, but it will be sunshine pasta, tomorrow nite!  ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 09:13:56 »
Courgettes will work too although harder to disguise if your little uns don't like em.  We do though  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 13:46:01 »
I make a similar one where I cook a load of mushrooms while the pasta is cooking, just before the end add a tub of boursin light and some cream to the mushrooms and mix with the pasta, it goes down well in this house.  Any veg could be used really and it's so easy.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 23:10:08 »
Tulippa   That sounds fab and easy - what could be better.  Will give that a whirl.  Ta  :)

bunnycat

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 23:24:10 »
Ohhh, I might have to try your mushroom recipe on my hubby, Tulippa ;D

He won't touch most veg, but loves mushrooms ::)

How do you prepare the mushrooms for this recipe?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 23:28:40 by bunnycat »

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 12:33:04 »
Let's face it.  Most veg goes well with pasta doesn't it ?  Had alien pasta again as it's a no brainer when you can't be @rsed to cook.  Threw in some left over chicken and used the Philli and milk method.  Don't know which i prefer.  (cheated a bit coz I only had frozen broc.  At least I have found another use for it other than curried with pots.  Can't stand frozen broc as a veg - too soft.)
Get with the beat Baggy

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 14:55:29 »
It sure does Baggy  :)  I like mussels and pasta with garlic, white wine, butter and flat leaf parsley and then another slug of white wine just for luck.  All soaked up with crusty bread

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 17:57:58 »
Bunnycat, I'm sorry I have taken so long but have been busy working! 

I slice the mushrooms and sweat them in a small amount of oil (about a tablespoon I think) in a saucepan with the lid on, shaking often for about 10 minutes I think - I'm sorry, I'm not being very scientific but it is until they look cooked!  Although they soak up the oil at first they soon release their juices and I mix the boursin with the mushrooms and their juice.

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 20:17:15 »
love the sound of that tulippa - would have to be peppered boursin for me though - can't get enough of black pepper. Unfortunately mushrooms make my son violently sick within 2 hours of eating so this will be one for the grownups.  Will try the alien pasta for sprog as he loves broccoli but doesn't think much to pasta (strange child) so I will be using it the other way - use the broccoli to disguise the pasta   :D

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2005, 22:36:51 »
Baggy i made the Alien pasta tonite for dinner and it went down a storm, although i didnt tell them that it was called Alien pasta, as my boys are a bit too big for that  :D  :D
I used egg vermicelli and boursin and milk and it was just fantastic.
I tend to make pasta at least twice a week so it was fab to have a new recipe.
Thanks very much and i hope that your little un is still enjoying it too  :)

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2005, 22:37:58 »
Honeybee.  Glad the alien pasta went down well.  I have spoken to my little one's mum and this is now one of his favorite dishes.  Especially as he is allowed to cut the broc up himself and do the mixing.  Even better he is starting to very slowly gain weight without having to resort to eating high fat junk or meal replacement drinks (he is five and lokks no bigger than a three yr old - bless).  Unfortunatley his parents are getting bored with this dish now........
Get with the beat Baggy

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2005, 22:54:23 »
We have had it a couple of times since and its lovely.

Hopefully now that the little ones parents are bored with the dish they will still facilitate the little one having it, especially if he is enjoying it so much.

I know i dont know him, but i think of him when i make his Alien Pasta  :)

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2005, 12:05:35 »

Ok you folks amma new to this is boursin the soft garlic
 cheese or am I off on the wrong tangent ??  ??? ??? ???
  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2005, 13:36:34 »
Yes that right, you will find it in the supermarket with all of the cheeses in a white carton with a green lid.
Tesco are doing it as a buy one get one free right now.

Or failing that, alien pasta is on the menu for tea tonite, so i could set another place? ;D

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2005, 18:58:58 »

Well thanks Honey  love the buy 1 get 1 frees..... pssst thats Alien pasta
  at your house ;D EJ's for pizza  ;D any takers for the other 5 nights  :P :P :P
   :D :D :D :D :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal