Author Topic: doh! - and other tales  (Read 3768 times)

David R

• Acre
doh! - and other tales
« on: June 25, 2005, 10:59:07 »
merrily hoeing away the weeds from my young leek bed, when... CRUNCH... straight through a couple of promising leeks. I swore profusely, and loudly.

Took home a few rhubarb stems as comfort, nearly took the enamel of my teeth, so acid, my face has still not unpuckered.

spent all afternoon watering the plot as not rained for weeks, got home and it started raining.

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
Re: doh! - and other tales
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 11:22:01 »
Hi David

You're not so far away from me in Dartford!  I am in Lewisham.  Nextdoor very kindly gave me some berries the other day.  Gooseberries and raspberries.  Of course, me being me, I had to test them out right away.  Had a similar experience to your rhubarb tasting with the gooseberries.  Oh my word.   :P  I guess its nothing that won't be helped by putting them in a fruit crumble with plenty of sugar!!!

If nothing else, these things are "character building".  Hope your face has unpuckered. 
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 17:23:48 »
chuckle chuckle  ;D

Oh well David, by hoeing away a couple of leeks, you have given the surrounding leeks more room to grow.

And the rhubarb, do some varieties go over before others?  On our site, Jack picked all of his goosegogs, so full of excitement as my bushes are laiden with fruit, I picked one and popped it in hole.  There wasn't enough water in my bottle or coffee in my flask to rehydrate my entire body!  Tart, sour, acidic?  Nope, caustic I would say!

chuckle chuckle!  ;D

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 17:43:33 »
David, no rain in your area when we have had so much !!   ::) :o ;D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

shaolin101

• Half Acre
    • Kungfu and Fitness in London
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 22:41:59 »
Charlotte - you are also not far from me - i am just off the old kent road.

have to say i love sour fruit and will happily eat a lemon on its own!

I was really hoping for rain to save my water bill at home - didn't get nowhere near the amount some people were telling to expect!
Keep getting worried that the stuff I grow will taste nasty - or turn out poisonous!

DolphinGarden

• Acre
  • skip skavenger
    • Facility of the Month, Warrington Cycle Camaign
doh! - and other tales
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 00:36:26 »
Well that answered a question I was about to ask some day soon...do you in the uk have to pay water charges in the same way as electricity or gas or other council charges.  The local authority here has been trying to collect bin charges here for the last five years.

We keep saying, don't pay,don't pay. All stick together, it'll be the water next. And everyone goes "oh yeah".  The tried to faff about with water a few years ago and the housewives with families kicked up such a ruckus  that it was dropped. . . but those eu directives don't go away you know and the national politicians LOVE to blame bad news on Brussels.

Ciaran
I was really hoping for rain to save my water bill at home - didn't get nowhere near the amount some people were telling to expect!

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 11:58:29 »
Charlotte - you are also not far from me - i am just off the old kent road.

Do you have an allotment there?! If so you must surely qualify as the most urban allotmenteer.

nb Which end of the OKR is it?  Elephant & C or New X?  Just being nosy.

Water - anyone know of any subsidised water butts you can buy?  Our local council subsidise composters, but not water butts that I know of.  Its the only way, isn't it.  We had to throw the previous owner's one away, it didn't have a cover (or a tap) and lots of nasties were growing in it.  The whole shebang (butt, cover, pipe, taps) is hugely expensive in B&Q etc, don't even mention the local garden centres.
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

Deleted

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 12:13:46 »
Hi, Another one nearby. I'm Thamesmead/Woolwich - near Belmarsh prison, for want of a more exotic landmark (unless you count the Princess Alice pub!). Rhubarb very tart as ever, but loved it anyway, My other fruit is  a bit behind this year. - and talk about dry! However, my lemons are deicious and can't wait for my blueberries, which are coming along well.
Dawn

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 21:13:15 »
Do you have an allotment there?! If so you must surely qualify as the most urban allotmenteer.
nb Which end of the OKR is it?  Elephant & C or New X?  Just being nosy.

most urban allotmenteer? i will throw my hat into the competition then :D - lottie is just off the walworth road just 10 mins from E&C. we are between the OKR and the walworth road. liam, where are you?

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 21:40:45 »
David R Am I to assume you didn't have a very good day? ;D ;D
 The post did take me on a tour of very familiar areas, as Charlotte knows I was born and bred in Eltham. Well untill I was eighteen then a nice young man married me and took me off to Chislehurst. That was a laugh.. all the experts said I would never have children. First one when I was twenty six then three more blighters ???Only joking they are all lovely. Love to all the Londoners xx

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 13:52:04 »
Well, I am fascinated to hear about all the inner city allotmenteers!  I'm also sure all the OKR people know how rubbish the Peckham branch of B&Q is (for plants).  ;)  It used to be my easiest one to get to by bus.  Fortunately, I was buying paint.  :D 

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 14:02:08 »
Charlotte - are you with Thames Water? They do a subsidised water butt - look at their website.
gone to pot :D

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 14:08:39 »
charlotte - it's even rubbish for paint! i got blank stares when i asked for satin eggshell. luckily, my independant store stocks that

and yes, no selection on the plants. even bedding plants!

shaolin101

• Half Acre
    • Kungfu and Fitness in London
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 14:22:12 »
I am right in the middle of OKR! In between Tesco and Asda. There is a new development off Coopers Road (by the Fire Station - opposite Burgess Park). No allotment unfortunately - just a small garden that gets about an hour worth of sun in one place in the evening!

Currently trying to get an allotment though (heard that they are on Walworth road but there are also some on St James Road which is close by)

PS - Where i used to live the water was included with the rent - about £3 per week with Southwark council. I am now with Peabody Trust and pay for what i use.
Keep getting worried that the stuff I grow will taste nasty - or turn out poisonous!

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2005, 14:35:47 »
liam, the allotments off the walworth road are tiny, and full as far as i know. if there is an alternative site that is kinda convenient then go for that.

hey, and next year, we can swapsie some plants and stuff - we are about 10 mins walk from tesco ;)

PS: (to get back on topic?) i am all for water charges, actually. metered water would be my preference as it will educate and discipline people to be careful with water which is earth's most precious commodity (and becoming more precious even in the UK). i was shocked when i arrived here 10 years ago at all kinds of wastage - not just from water!
just my 0.02 - roll on brussels i say ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 14:38:48 by Svea »

NattyEm

• Acre
    • Em and Lous Lottie
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2005, 15:19:19 »
Svea my dh works for Farrow & Ball I have eggshell paint coming out of my ears!

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2005, 17:06:03 »
Svea my dh works for Farrow & Ball I have eggshell paint coming out of my ears!

WOW, you lucky so-and-so!  That's beautiful paint, that stuff.  I like a lot of the "heritage" ranges.

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2005, 17:07:27 »
i got blank stares when i asked for satin eggshell

This is down to the job requirements for working in B&Q Peckham i.e. full frontal lobotomy! lol

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2005, 17:08:18 »
Charlotte - are you with Thames Water? They do a subsidised water butt - look at their website.

Will do, cheers.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal