Author Topic: Gotcha Rat!!  (Read 7000 times)

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
Re: Gotcha Rat!!
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2005, 09:05:39 »
Yes Kitty, i did sort of think that as i was writing it  ;D  ;D  ;D

Lorna this pic is so much on my mind that i keep dreaming about it  :o

discovery

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2005, 16:10:29 »
Lovely little fellow, I used to keep fancy rats, Yes I am one of the strange ones.If you want to repel rats from a paticular place in your garden, then plant rue or catmint, they cany stand the smell, they wont cross through rue even if they are starving, hope this helps.They are social animals, but if it was a male, there wont be many as they are very territorial.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2005, 16:46:43 »
right!i shall be donning me Big Male Rat  cozzy-that'll fool the berhoogers! ;)

slightly warm to garden in buy-i can cope! ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2005, 17:38:41 »
Lovely little fellow, I used to keep fancy rats, Yes I am one of the strange ones.If you want to repel rats from a paticular place in your garden, then plant rue or catmint, they cany stand the smell, they wont cross through rue even if they are starving, hope this helps.They are social animals, but if it was a male, there wont be many as they are very territorial.

As it happens there was a second (it's alright moonbells no pictures this time).  It did not show for a day or so then emerged into the compost heap (rhubarb lost it's potency?)  A couple of days waiting and I resorted to rhubarb leaves in the compost heap and another down the hole.  Next day - rat in a trap!.  Took it to the same place as the other one.  More rhubarb on compost and another leaf down the hole - three days later it is still there and no sign of rats.  I am hoping my male had just got himself a girlfriend - if not I am worried what will become of the babies (plus they might smell if they die  :-X)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2005, 17:46:04 »
o no!
another one?
aaargh!
dont bring
'em with you on saturday will you?! :'(
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2005, 08:29:29 »
Bless - hope they are reunited....

Rats are a big problem in our area but we don't seem to get them in our garden - maybe cos of the dogs

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2005, 09:20:56 »
Some time ago we saw a Rat eating seed from the bird table in our garden - too close for comfort.  We removed the seed and endeavored to catch it, we eventually caught 5.  We caught them in the 'never to return method'  ;).  That was last year, we have not seen any since.

Regards Lily
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2005, 09:51:21 »
I read somewhere that if you feed the birds then the rats will move in and set up home nearby, :-\  cut off their food supply and they will leave, :'( sounds simple enough. ;D

If you want encourage wildlife into your garden then rats qualify and should be accepted as members of the wildlife community. :o 8)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2005, 22:29:25 »
I get rats a lot, and if I don't put poison down in winter they can chew their way into beehives and completely destroy the contents. Strange thing is, the beekeeping books go on about mice ad nauseam, and never seem to mention rats, which as far as I'm concerned are a far bigger problem.

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2005, 08:24:42 »
hi all
i am a pro rat catcher buy trade and you will find if one dies you will have a very distinctive smell for about four to five days
one thing that i am affraid to tell you  is that it is illegal to noing to relese a nown pest into the uk
but what the council dont see wont hurt them will it
try putting either Dairy milk or peanut butter or tuna in the trap as that will attract them to the trap
if i can be any help at all please pm me
oh before i go
you can get reported and fined buy the RSPCA if there is not water in the trap and you dont check them at LEAST every 12 hours
hope i have helped
matt 8) 8) 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal